Next stop paint shop

67Thunder

Jun 19, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
Haven't posted in a while. A lot of tedious body work has been going on, but...
Getting ready to take "Thunder" for paint tomorrow. It may rain or snow so I have ordered a covered deck truck to move it to the body shop.

Nice to see it on the ground finally. Hopefully if things go well in a week and a half I'll have the car back, with the engine bay painted and the outside all sealed primed and two coats of high build.

We're going to jamb the doors and inside trunk, underside of the hood & trunk. The idea being that the whole car will be assembled before the final coat of paint goes on the outside.

I think once the car gets back from the body shop I am going to simulate the engine weight in the front of the car, so i can get a decent idea of the ride height with the front coils. They are new 1" lowering big block springs, but the back sits on 1 1/2" lowering springs and a 1" lowering block.

859566_299_full.jpg

859566_300_full.jpg

859566_301_full.jpg

859566_302_full.jpg

859566_303_full.jpg

859566_304_full.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Is that the Cobra Automotive front end? If so, how did it fit for you? Looks like you have done a ton of work to it. Mine is pretty darn close, except above one of the light buckets (too thin- so it looks warped)

Also, is that a fiberglass hood? If so how did it fit and where did you pick it up?

Looks nice though. That is the next phase for me over the winter. Good luck.

Cool! Good to see someone make real progress. Why are there stripes on the roof interior?

I was playing with the "Zero Rust" when protecting all of the inner surfaces (roof on original car was rusty in one place and had a pin hole after sandblasting). At one time I was going to do the whole car. I changed my mind though.

Is that the Cobra Automotive front end? If so, how did it fit for you? Looks like you have done a ton of work to it. Mine is pretty darn close, except above one of the light buckets (too thin- so it looks warped)

Also, is that a fiberglass hood? If so how did it fit and where did you pick it up?

Looks nice though. That is the next phase for me over the winter. Good luck.

The fiberglass came from Dave Brownlow ( a local enthusiast) His glass (front fascia, hood, tailight panel) was much better than the other stuff I got from fleaBay. And YES I did a lot of fiberglass work. Although the moulds were from original pieces the fascia was not symmetrical. I did a couple weeks work on this part. There is a couple of months work on the trunk (spoiler is 1" higher among other things) A couple months work into the hood (block sanded the underside - for smooth paint - gapped and matched the fenders) there is at least two to four weeks into the 4 scoops, blocking and fitting to the body.

Makes me tired just thinking about it ;)

It's going to be tough to simulate the engine's weight to check ride height. You need to at least drive around the block to get the suspension to settle. Otherwise it will be too high, especially in the front.

If you don't drive around the block you will end up cutting the front coils too short.

Good luck!