NHTSA Action Number PE08060

Art161

Sep 26, 2006
San Francisco
NHTSA has an ongoing investigation regarding alleged defects in the tire valves on certain 2007 Ford vehicles, including the Mustang.

The investigation is as to whether there is a safety hazard because of the cracking and leaking of the tire valves. According to an Associated Press article, Ford spokesman Wes Sherwood said, "We've seen reports of cracking and leaking. We have not identified a risk to motor vehicle safety."

It is reported that the tire valves in question were manufactured from July 2006 to mid-November 2006. Sherwood stated that the Ford tire valves were made in a different part of the Chinese factory and made with different materials than the tire valves that were recalled in June 2008.

Ford has until January 9, 2009, to provide the information requested by NHTSA.

What are your thoughts?

Would you advise 2007 Mustang owners to replace their tire valves immediately, or would you advise them to wait and see if there is a recall?

• Sponsors (?)

Good thing for TPMS....... OMG you guys have to be kidding me....we need somebody to post a "possible" defective tire valve??? Do you know how many bad rubber valve stems I see every freakin' day!!??? CHECK YOU CAR OUT EVERY SO OFTEN people!!! I don't need the government holding my d%ck....... you voting for big government Obama too??..... then you can be told when to eat and sleep too.

i definitely agree with the whole goverment making TPMS standard on vehicles being bs.

people are being so lazy with their cars. soon our cars will sense traffic lights and tell us when to apply brakes and apply the gas pedal.

Tommy, the political comment is not welcome in the tech forums. If you want to talk about that stuff, take it to the "Fight Club" in the off topic forums.

Obama and McCain, and Bush for that matter, have nothing to do with a safety investigation.

haha true.

i wish times were like when my dad was around my age.

if something needed to get done on the car. you did it yourself with a couple friends. now people are too lazy to check to see if their tires need air, relying on a dummy light. and if they do need air, they have someone else do it for them.

my friends mom told me to teach him how to do an oil change and do regular maintenance on the car, hes like no its fine i'll pay someone to do it. his moms dad was a mechanic, and she was taught how to do simple things like that, and didn't like the idea how lazy he was to do something simple like that.