Nick's "lvndpst" Restoration (and Slight Modification) Thread

That is Alabama Mike talk right there. Its currently 17 degrees here, and isnt going to be warming up anytime soon. Had I known she was as dirty underneath as she is, I would have hit that quarter wash before parking her for the winter. But I like to find things out the hard way, kinda like you. I will have to snap a pic for you before I put it back on the ground. The rear bumper reinforcement is completely filled with dried dirt behind each rear wheel. Its pretty amazing it isnt a lot rustier. Apparently the old man drove it only on dry days. Let the dust cake up underneath, but didnt let it ever turn to mud. This year I plan to give the term spring cleaning a different meaning though.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

That is Alabama Mike talk right there. Its currently 17 degrees here, and isnt going to be warming up anytime soon. Had I known she was as dirty underneath as she is, I would have hit that quarter wash before parking her for the winter. But I like to find things out the hard way, kinda like you. I will have to snap a pic for you before I put it back on the ground. The rear bumper reinforcement is completely filled with dried dirt behind each rear wheel. Its pretty amazing it isnt a lot rustier. Apparently the old man drove it only on dry days. Let the dust cake up underneath, but didnt let it ever turn to mud. This year I plan to give the term spring cleaning a different meaning though.

Ohh no no Iowegian. I lived up there remember.

The quarter car washes in Iowa are heated. Washing cars in Iowa has to be done during the winter months to keep them from turning straight to rust. So they find a way. I know from personal experience having taken my car out in the 17 degree cold after the car wash, only to not be able to get the door open (after it had frozen shut) or not be able to get a key in the frozen lock.

Now I'm sure that you're in some sort of cold snap now, and it might be a little extreme at this particular time,....but 30-40 degree days do come.

@madmike1157 , you would be surprised how many car washes close when the temp hits 32 or below. The ones that stay "heated" are only kept "heated" to about 37 degrees, lol. The biggest issue is that I am not going to drive the car on the salty roads, and the nicer the day, the more :poo: is melting and making the roads sloppy. Its gonna have to wait til spring, and I will put it on stands in my driveway and use my own power washer on it.

Well, it came. Looks good, just has sucky paint on it that will easily come off. All studs are solid. Not sure if I want to buy a plastic vent cover, or cut off the mounts and leave it open. Dare I trim some venting into the hood and make it functional of sorts?

20161215_194010_zpsk8fctmzk.jpg

20161215_194038_zpscnjec6ji.jpg

Well, it came. Looks good, just has sucky paint on it that will easily come off. All studs are solid. Not sure if I want to buy a plastic vent cover, or cut off the mounts and leave it open. Dare I trim some venting into the hood and make it functional of sorts?

Ooooohh! You can get the grille for those easy enough if you're doing the it original. I'm jealous as sht Nick. Good buy!:nice:

Now you're gonna cut that hood aren't you?.........

Yep,.....

Here,.....lets see if I can find an appropriate GIF to make my point......

iStock_000030486930_XXXLarge.jpg

Date stamp:...12/15/2016.....

The day you start down the path needs to be marked.

It'll be a point of reference for you to look back 3-4 years from now...after........

The full suspension swap,...the first of many engine mods, followed by a complete overhaul, followed by the requisite wheezer/huffer, followed by several pics of the car sitting w/ an empty engine bay on jackstands,.....followed by several threads where you reach out because of a change of heart when you are thinking about selling the thing,.....followed by a decision to have the car painted,.....then another story about how the painter phcked you,..w/ a reference to the guy that once built a 4R70w for you,.....followed by a "Returning the car to stock" thread......

Whew,.....makes me tired just thinking about all of the sht you just stepped in.....

All because you decided to cut a hole in your hood.

Reactions: 1 users
Now you're gonna cut that hood aren't you?.........

Yep,.....

Here,.....lets see if I can find an appropriate GIF to make my point......

iStock_000030486930_XXXLarge.jpg

Date stamp:...12/15/2016.....

The day you start down the path needs to be marked.

It'll be a point of reference for you to look back 3-4 years from now...after........

The full suspension swap,...the first of many engine mods, followed by a complete overhaul, followed by the requisite wheezer/huffer, followed by several pics of the car sitting w/ an empty engine bay on jackstands,.....followed by several threads where you reach out because of a change of heart when you are thinking about selling the thing,.....followed by a decision to have the car painted,.....then another story about how the painter phcked you,..w/ a reference to the guy that once built a 4R70w for you,.....followed by a "Returning the car to stock" thread......

Whew,.....makes me tired just thinking about all of the sht you just stepped in.....

All because you decided to cut a hole in your hood.
Ahh Grasshopper, it is not the destination that matters.It is the journey there that has the greatest value.

Now, snatch these pebbles from my hand..,..:stig:

You sure you want to drill holes into a nice stock hood?

Can't go back if you do.

Welding up six small holes and doing a repaint isnt impossible... Now if you mean when I asked if I should make it functional, then yeah, I get what you mean. Even if I went that route, I wouldnt cut a giant hole in the hood. Just small vents to let a little air come out, similar to what @madmike1157 had done at the rear of his hood. After giving it some thought, I think I will buy a fake grille for it and keep it original. I am also considering removing the studs and 3M taping it down in a nice manner to be sure I like it long term before drilling the mounting holes. When I removed the factory scoop from one of my 2011 hoods I had used, it was a b*tch to get off because of the 3M tape. That stuff is strong if you apply it to clean surfaces.

Got the studs out easily, and set it on the hood to see how flat it lies. It sits nice and flat. Next is to paint it body color. Then I will decide how I want to attach it.

20161216_182405_zpshn7sanan.jpg

20161216_182747_zpsb3ym5njd.jpg

In other news, I started the car and let it idle up to running temp. While I let it run, I turned on the heat. To my surprise, the heater core does not leak and the heat works just fine.

Reactions: 5 users
:ot:
Got the studs out easily, and set it on the hood to see how flat it lies. It sits nice and flat. Next is to paint it body color. Then I will decide how I want to attach it.

20161216_182405_zpshn7sanan.jpg

20161216_182747_zpsb3ym5njd.jpg

In other news, I started the car and let it idle up to running temp. While I let it run, I turned on the heat. To my surprise, the heater core does not leak and the heat works just fine.
I like the scoop a LOT! I might be biased, but good pick Nick:nice:

I like the scoop man. Body color will make that a subtle accent....barely noticeable.

I like the scoop man. Body color will make that a subtle accent....barely noticeable.

That is what I am going for. Just enough not to be the boring flat stock hood, but not so different like aftermarket hoods. Part of me is thinking about having the cowl vent painted body color too. What do you guys think of that? I know they are traditionally black, but I wonder if it would look more cohesive in body color.

Stumbled on these pics of a '90 GT with the scoop. Looking at the finished the product, I dont really like how tall it is in the back. I think I am going to trim it down in the rear to make it more level with the ground. Similar to the 2001 Eleanor hood where the bulge is taller in the front, to give it a level overall look. @Davedacarpainter , you gonna wanna kill me if I cut into this thing?

Aero%20with%2083%20scoop%20two_zpsgk8uqk8k.jpg

Aero%20with%2083%20scoop_zpsdhxnwdv2.jpg

Stumbled on these pics of a '90 GT with the scoop. Looking at the finished the product, I dont really like how tall it is in the back. I think I am going to trim it down in the rear to make it more level with the ground. Similar to the 2001 Eleanor hood where the bulge is taller in the front, to give it a level overall look. @Davedacarpainter , you gonna wanna kill me if I cut into this thing?

Aero%20with%2083%20scoop%20two_zpsgk8uqk8k.jpg

Aero%20with%2083%20scoop_zpsdhxnwdv2.jpg
Nah man, trim away.

I really like how that looks. Either black or body color will be nice. The black ties in with the cowl panel trim though.

BTW, two sided taping it is a good idea, you don't fock up your hood that way if you don't like it as much a few years down the road.

Reactions: 1 users