Nitrous on a stock bottom end?

00 Red SS

Jan 22, 2003
Grain Valley, MO
How much nitrous would a stock bottom end hold. This summer im just lookin to do bolt ons, cam and intake but probably stock heads. Im wondering how much nitrous could i throw at it and what do you think it could run? Mods lets say, pulleys, long tubes or xpipe, liberty t5, pro 5.0 shifter, slicks/skinnys, 75mm tb, 4.10 gears, one more question w/ that mod list should i get 24lb injectors, bigger fuel pump and a larger maf or is that too much fuel it will get heads later in the year. What do ya think

• Sponsors (?)

Fuel pump, is a requirement, i've got a 255 HP on mine and it's stock, you dont want to run lean on nitrous. I've got a 100 wet shot on mine, there are others that have more, it's just if you start getting above a 100shot i would say the tune becomes the major part in keeping the engine alive and i wouldn't be juicing it everywhere i go. I plan to go to a 125 maybe a 150 come the spring after i can get some practice hooking up and launching with the 100 so i can get some good times, but i'd start low and work my way up to make sure you dont have any bugs.

Can't help ya much with the other things, though

i know of guys who've sprayed with the 150 jets through numerous bottles, i think if it was going to 'go' it would have done it already...

i've personally ran the 100 pills and never damaged the bottom end :p
backfired once though :lol:

I ran a NX wet kit with a 150hp shot for about 5 months. Many a bottle went through the engine. Three backfires on that one kit. Then I sold it and put on a ZEX dry kit. 125hp shot and one back fire and about 1 bottle has gone through it. No problems. Stock fuel pump, stock timing both times, and two steps colder plugs and thats it.

Good Luck

I put a NX 150 wet shot my '89 Coupe when I first bought it (with over 100k miles) and sprayed it everywhere I went for about a year. Had a 190 LPH pump, 24# injectors, GT40P heads, Cobra intake, an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and that was about it. With slicks and 4.10s the car went consistent 12.50s through the stock AOD at 6000 ft. I wouldn't say it would be beyond reason to think the car would've run 11.9s at sea level. Never had a problem with the car until it finally blew a head gasket at about 135k miles (pretty sure they were defective heads). The short block is still running around town in a buddies car that runs consistent 12.2s on a 150 shot. I would say it has about 160k miles on it now. Just back the timing off and make sure to get a good tune.

As long as you have the fuel to handle it.. ITs total hp you need to look at. It dont sound like your really gonna run a lotta nitrous but with plenty of fuel and a good wetshot kit then 250 shot should be okay. Its total hp... anything over 550hp and your getting closer to maxing it out.