Nitrous. Wet? or Dry?

CanadaStang said:
Thanks Dark Knight. Will I be OK to go with the dry system?

Most likely, yes. Either way, you really need the components inertia mentioned above. A rpm window switch will really help to avoid puddling. I also strongly recommend getting a kit that has a saftey switch setup that will cut off the spray if the motor begins to run lean. I cant stress this enough. It may cost a bit more for a kit like this but its better than blowing your motor to pieces.

• Sponsors (?)

Do not block the return line on the fuel system on 96-98 cars. The reason its there is because the fuel pump on the 96-98's pump the same amount of gas all the time to the fuel pressure regulator. The motor uses what it needs and returns what it does not. Thats one reason those cars have a regulator. The 99-up cars have a variable voltage sensing fuel pump. The computer gives the fuel pump more power as the revs climb and more fuel is needed. Thats one reason those cars have no regulator. In my experience it has been said that it is safer to put wet kits on the 96-98's, than the 99-up cars. I have a wet kit on my 00gt, and have been running it for years with no problems. Canada, when you get your kit, get a fuel pressure safety switch, also called a hobbs switch, so if your fuel pressure drops below a set point, it will shut of the nitrous system. If your going to run no more than a 75 shot, you can put stock heat range copper plugs in and be fine. Gap them at 35 and do the wot and window switch like inertia said, and be done with it. And if your wondering, Ive been using nitrous for 13 years, and have never blown anything up from it. Hope this helps out, Shane.

Ok. Everything you just said about the return fuel line is good info. However, Ive been told its best to run a wet kit on the 99+ GT's and a dry shot on the pre99 for all the above stated reasons. Where the hell is Marc(TruBlu01) to comment when you need him ? Im sure he could settle this since he is the legendary "Sprayman".

I'm not going to go any higher than the 75 shot, and I won't be using it very often, maybe twice a year on grudge match night.[6 1/4 mile passes a year]. I like the idea of the dry set up with just the 1 line [easier to hide, hee hee]
but going with the went isnn't too big a deal. I have limited experence with Nos, my brother ran it on his old carberated Vette, but sold the car the next year.I just want to make sure I'm going with the right set up before I order it.
Thanks again guys, the more advice I can get the better.

Send a PM to Trublu01(Marc). He can give you way better advice than any of us. If youre only running nitro once in a while, and only going with a 75lb shot, Ide say you'll be ok. Just dont go any higher than a 100lb shot and dont run it too often, or you'll be risking it. Get an rpm window switch and the hobbs switch spoken of above. This will really save you from intake and piston grenading. Be sure to also use premium octane gasoline(91 octane or higher) to help prevent pre-ignition/detonation. This is all the advice I can really give you for now. Again, Marc is the man to ask.

I would reccomend the kit in my sig. And I would definetly reccomend NX or NOS over Zex. NX and NOs have been doing this better and longer than any one else. Look at the pro's, do you see anyone using Zex?

Now, my kit is dry and here's what it comes with for $725 from Summitt. All the usuall stuff like bottle solenoids, on/off switch ect. It also comes with a rpm window switch, a electronic wot switch (not some cheap pin switch), and a electronic fuel enrichment circuit (so when you hit the juice the circuit tells the computer to dump more fuel in to the cylinder through the injectors). THat is specifically for 99+, but I would definetly dtay with NX or NOS :nice:

Thanks again guys!! I really appreciate all of the great advice, I was unaware of the rpm window switch as well as the hobbs.I definitely will want to go that route.I'm not particular about what brand I use [the Zex sounded easier and cheaper] as long as it is safe.But I don't want to spend the extra cash for the Noszle system, although I certainly agree it seems to be the the best out there.
Well I'm off to send a message to Trublu01.
I can't thank you guys enough for your input. :worship:

Satan said:
Do not block the return line on the fuel system on 96-98 cars. The reason its there is because the fuel pump on the 96-98's pump the same amount of gas all the time to the fuel pressure regulator. The motor uses what it needs and returns what it does not. Thats one reason those cars have a regulator. The 99-up cars have a variable voltage sensing fuel pump. The computer gives the fuel pump more power as the revs climb and more fuel is needed. Thats one reason those cars have no regulator. In my experience it has been said that it is safer to put wet kits on the 96-98's, than the 99-up cars. I have a wet kit on my 00gt, and have been running it for years with no problems.

That's odd, because on my GTP, I have a FPR (fuel press. reg) and a voltage sensing fuel pump. Maybe it's just the safety that GM designed for it. :shrug:

ChaosStarter said:
That's odd, because on my GTP, I have a FPR (fuel press. reg) and a voltage sensing fuel pump. Maybe it's just the safety that GM designed for it. :shrug:
Mustangs are not GM and the returnless fuel system is not for saftey. :D
returnless and return style fuel systems will work well wit ha wet or dry kit, if the kit is installed properly and you don't get stupit with the jets. :nice:

forpit2000gt said:
Mustangs are not GM and the returnless fuel system is not for saftey. :D
returnless and return style fuel systems will work well wit ha wet or dry kit, if the kit is installed properly and you don't get stupit with the jets. :nice:

lol. I know that. but i'm just saying it weird that from 96-98, the GTs had the return-style with teh FPR, then in 99' the went to returnless with a voltage sensing pump. However, on my car, it's like the best of both worlds? But then again, my car does come with 36lb injectors stock. :)

i'm running a 100 shot dry with no problems, either way will be fine with safety precautions....

ChaosStarter said:
lol. I know that. but i'm just saying it weird that from 96-98, the GTs had the return-style with teh FPR, then in 99' the went to returnless with a voltage sensing pump. However, on my car, it's like the best of both worlds? But then again, my car does come with 36lb injectors stock. :)

not really weird...either way works just fine. Your car may come with 36lb injectors stock, but then again mine came with a V8 :nice:

Well, if you dont get ahold of Marc, try contacting Nitro Lew. He's another nitrous user on here who has plenty of experience with the Nitro. I recommend Marc because he's been the Legendary Sprayman forever.

Thanks again Dark Knight, I sent Trublu01 a message,but he may be busy, I'll wait a few days to see if I hear back and then I'll try Nitro Lew.
Thanks again for all of your help,I feel much more confident in the whole nitrous idea.I like to do a bit of homework before I jump into anything and you have been more than helpful.Thanks!