Nitrous??

I did a little search and couldnt seem to find much soo im posting up but i wanna know who all is running nitrous what size shot, motor, trans etc and also whats your best et/mph in the 1/4mile...trying to decide my best route to go with nitrous on my car...Its a stock 90 5.0 fox.

Thanks fellass!

• Sponsors (?)

Havent hit the juice yet but I have the kit sitting in my garage. Stock 5.0 bottom end with 170k miles, gt40p heads, tfs 1 cam, trickflow intake, 3.73 gears, full exhaust, other basic bolt ons, ET street slicks, and going to hit it with a 125 shot off the line. We will see what goes first, the stock t-5, the stock axles, or the engine....

Honestly stay away from nitrous. There are "safer" methods of running it but no "completely safe" ways. You WILL ruin a nice car if you run nitrous. It beats the piss out of every component of the car. I know this because 5 days ago i blew the axle tube out of my rearend. I think you can buy a paxton blower for a little over a grand, bolt it on and never refill a bottle.

I'm saying the clutch will go first. If its 100% stock then I wouldn't go over a 75 shot until you upgrade to a bigger fuel pump and adjustable regulator. And remember take out about 2 degrees of timing for every 50 extra horsepower you go up.

Honestly stay away from nitrous. There are "safer" methods of running it but no "completely safe" ways. You WILL ruin a nice car if you run nitrous. It beats the piss out of every component of the car. I know this because 5 days ago i blew the axle tube out of my rearend. I think you can buy a paxton blower for a little over a grand, bolt it on and never refill a bottle.

The horsepower beats on the car. If its stock and you crank up the hp/torque, regardless of the method, things will break!

--
Dan in ND
'88 'vert GT undergoing full resto.

The horsepower beats on the car. If its stock and you crank up the hp/torque, regardless of the method, things will break!.

Absolutely correct. However I'll add that any power adder is super easy to get carried away with, which is where most people get into trouble. A 75 shot is fun. Wait til you get a 150. 150 gets old...gotta upgrade to a 300 with foggers. Same with boost. 6 psi is awesome. 12 is much better. 18 is kaboom but it was great for a while ;)

With a truly naturally aspirated engine (no nitrous, blower, turbo) it's significantly harder to make crazy power with a push of a button or turn of a screw, so it's therefore harder to tear things up short of replacing the engine with something more powerful...which most of the time people plan for the extra power capability in the chassis/drivetrain while planning the engine. The only exeption is methanol. Meth by itself (as a race fuel) in theory is easier on parts because it burns slower and cooler but its' been proven that more engines fail on methanol than on gas. Same for nitromethane. Throw a match in nitro and the match goes out. Compress it and ignite it and it becomes about like liquid TNT once it's lit off-which takes an act of congress. That's why TF cars use 40+ amps to each spark plug. Anything less won't ignite it consistently which will lift heads, break rods off, bust wrist pins, cranks, blocks, etc. Tried messing with the stuff in an ATV drag application. Works but easy to bust parts. Had a stack of burned/broken stuff to prove that I didn't know what I was doing but when I got it lined out, it was wicked for no more than it was. 50% nitro 50% Methanol.

So what your basically saying is go with nitrous cause its the cheapest, got it.

Absolutely correct. However I'll add that any power adder is super easy to get carried away with, which is where most people get into trouble. A 75 shot is fun. Wait til you get a 150. 150 gets old...gotta upgrade to a 300 with foggers. Same with boost. 6 psi is awesome. 12 is much better. 18 is kaboom but it was great for a while ;)

With a truly naturally aspirated engine (no nitrous, blower, turbo) it's significantly harder to make crazy power with a push of a button or turn of a screw, so it's therefore harder to tear things up short of replacing the engine with something more powerful...which most of the time people plan for the extra power capability in the chassis/drivetrain while planning the engine. The only exeption is methanol. Meth by itself (as a race fuel) in theory is easier on parts because it burns slower and cooler but its' been proven that more engines fail on methanol than on gas. Same for nitromethane. Throw a match in nitro and the match goes out. Compress it and ignite it and it becomes about like liquid TNT once it's lit off-which takes an act of congress. That's why TF cars use 40+ amps to each spark plug. Anything less won't ignite it consistently which will lift heads, break rods off, bust wrist pins, cranks, blocks, etc. Tried messing with the stuff in an ATV drag application. Works but easy to bust parts. Had a stack of burned/broken stuff to prove that I didn't know what I was doing but when I got it lined out, it was wicked for no more than it was. 50% nitro 50% Methanol.

It really cracks me up when i read the reasons people say NOT to use nitrous....

A stock bottom end will handle a 175 shot. Nitrous isnt really "cheap" You will need a window switch, WOT switch, and definitely a bottle heater. By the time your done with everything nickel and diming you, i bet you have $1000 into it with your first bottle filled.

Right go with the nitrous, people who tell you that its bad are the people who have never used it or used it wrong. Can nitrous hurt a car, YES but i used it for 7 years and never had a problem my blower has been on my car 6 weeks and i blew a head gasket last night. It doesnt matter what you have nitrous turbo or supercharger there is risks to it all but in the big picture yes nitrous is the cheapest but filling the bottle will get old trust me on that.

hahaa yeah i have a srt8 jeep with nitrous on it so im not new to the nitrous world jsut new to the mustang world im a mopar man and just recently picked up this mustang for a project...i got a deal on a stock 302 block this weekend with edelbrock proformer rpm heads and a f cam in it...im gonna go with a carb and intake set-up and prob start with the 150 shot of nitrous...

I love the guys who say nitrous this and nitrous that blah blah blah...like said above its the guys who havent used it and are to scared to try it. i love the results it gives you...but im gonna be buying a fill station becasue there is only a couple shops near me that sell it and its kinda hard to get on demand. and a few of my other buddies spray soo it will be there when we need it.

So if i'm reading this thread right, your car is stock now and you are going to use nitrous, cheap iron heads, buy nitrous in bulk and purchase the parts to do a fill station?

I'll be straight with you.
It's a dumb idea.
Possibly one of the least thought out ideas i've seen in a while. Simple math tells you that you are spending your money wrong.

First off, in the past i've had a 100 shot.
Second of all, nitrous kits are not cheap, nor is the nitrous itself or the add ons that optimize it.
Third, it's absolutely no fun.

The smart money is on set of good aluminum heads and a custom cam.
Which will give you the hp all the time, multiplying the fun factor by 50.
Not to mention, if you can drive, you'll go just as fast at a gt40 iron head guy squeezing 100.

Nitrous is a short term solution to a long term problem.

It's your money, so go ahead and build this setup, because sounds like you have already convinced yourself it's a good idea.

Edit: Missed your post where you bought a used 302 with edelbrock heads on it that you are going to carb.
You may want to become a little more patient with your decisions.
First nitrous, now a carb.
Just more poor choices.

Nitrous is no fun? This is news to me. Maybe filling bottles is no fun, but it is easy to forget about that when you crack the bottle open on a 175 shot with a 5 speed its pretty fun.

I'll take 75rwhp all the time over 125rwhp once in a while any day of the week.
Seriously at $50 a fill, how often does someone really let it rip?
With my last h/c/i setup, i pretty much let loose all the way to my destination.

Nitrous is no fun? This is news to me. Maybe filling bottles is no fun, but it is easy to forget about that when you crack the bottle open on a 175 shot with a 5 speed its pretty fun.

filling bottles isnt to bad if you plan ahead and do it with heat transfer...

as for it being no fun... only people who dont find it fun are those who dont use it!
no blower or turbo car in X275 have gotten close to the 60ft we have on the bottle...

1.161 is DOWN THERE!

filling bottles isnt to bad if you plan ahead and do it with heat transfer...

as for it being no fun... only people who dont find it fun are those who dont use it!
no blower or turbo car in X275 have gotten close to the 60ft we have on the bottle...

1.161 is DOWN THERE!

A. I've used it.
B. I'm not under the impression that we are talking race cars.

I know you like to compare everything that goes on in the mustang world to the race car you work on, but it's not an apples to apples comparison with a street car.

I could compare every car on stangnet to the Drag radial race car that my buddy currently owns, that has had dozens of records, but what would be the point?
As soon as it went 8's it really was just wasn't relevant any more, that's when it went from a very fast street car to a race car.

You still didnt answer the quesiton.. how is nitrous "absolutely no fun"

We all know the disadvantages of nitrous VS blowers and turbos in a street car. But i dont see how anyone could say that an instant 150+ hp is NO FUN. Its really alot of fun, and while ive never done crack, i can only assume that nitrous is just as addicting.

FWIW, its $35 bucks to fill a 10 lb bottle here in MA at a welding supply store.