Nitto 555s

damacman

Aug 12, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Hey stangers,

Haven't been by the forum in a long time as my Olds' has been consuming all my time. Anyway, just an FYI . . . my trusty BFG G-Force KDWs (the dry pavement tires) were in dire need of replacement as they had belts showing on two of them. After looking high and low, the best deal I could find on replacing them was around $1,000. That's a lot of bread . . .

I did a little research on the Nitto 555s and decided to take the plunge. After a bunch of research, the wife took print outs of the deals offered on these tires by the on-line tire houses down to the local Discount Tire. Without question, they matched the pricing - $660 mounted, balanced, and road hazard on the four. 275/40/17s rear and 245/45/17s front.

The tires have been on the car for a few weeks now, and I gotta tell you - I'm really impressed. A bunch of time has passed since I drove on the fresh BFGs, but these tires are at least their equal. And this coming from a die-hard BFG guy. The handling on my 'stang is extraordinary thanks to the Hotchkis goodies and these things stick. Traction in 1st gear at WOT is about what you'd expect from a really good set of street tires, but after a little spin, 2nd gear bites hard.

If you're in the market for a great value in tires, my initial impression of these tires is very favorable. And you just can't beat the price!

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, I'm on my second set, put over 60k on the first set. Your going to love them, even when the get high mileage on them they still ride nice:nice: I was also into the BFG's but I'm toatlly sold on the Nitto's, great tire.

I had those nitto's b4 I had my BFG KDW's. I loved them on dry pavement, but IMO they sucked in the rain. They are alot cheaper than the KDW's though.

We get standing water on 168 to Nags Head when it rains around here, and the two groves in the tires seem to make a huge difference in keeping the car on track, no issues in the rain around here at all.:shrug:

That's cool. I'm gonna need some tires soon and I'm going with the nitto 555's. I have the stock bullitts. I've heard some say these tires run smaller than other brands. Could anyone tell me what the biggest possible Nitto tire I can run on my stock bullitt wheels? btw the car is an 02

We get standing water on 168 to Nags Head when it rains around here, and the two groves in the tires seem to make a huge difference in keeping the car on track, no issues in the rain around here at all.:shrug:

Well maybe it was just me, but I had these on my old stock 96 GT, & it felt more or less like I was floating on the water when it would start raining. Its all a matter of preferance, but when i have to spring for a set of expensive tires again, Im goin for the KDW's again. IMO, the best all around tire Ive ever had.

That's cool. I'm gonna need some tires soon and I'm going with the nitto 555's. I have the stock bullitts. I've heard some say these tires run smaller than other brands. Could anyone tell me what the biggest possible Nitto tire I can run on my stock bullitt wheels? btw the car is an 02

255's are the widest recomended size for an 8 inch rim, although you can fit a 275, but the contact patch wont be right & they will bulge out alot.

Are you looking at keeping them all the same so you can rotate. I have 18X9.5weells with 285's all the way around, love the wide look and no the don't stick out or rub anywhere. Are the stock wheels 8.5" wide? Looking on there site I think a 255 is the widest you can use on the stock wheel, the next size is a 275 and they recomend a 9" wide wheel.

Well maybe it was just me, but I had these on my old stock 96 GT, & it felt more or less like I was floating on the water when it would start raining. Its all a matter of preferance, but when i have to spring for a set of expensive tires again, Im goin for the KDW's again. IMO, the best all around tire Ive ever had.

It's cool, Like I said I was a big BFG fan too. Had two sets on my 92 GT and loved them, actually in the ten years that I owned the car thats all it ever had. But for the price the all around performance of the Nitto's is pretty close to the BFG's, I was so impressed with them I bought a set for my Lightning. Of course BFG doesn't make a tire that fits the L. So it's all good bro, not trying to get under your skin, just speaking from personal experience.

Ok thanks guys. I'll probably just stick with the 255 then. That I believe is one size wider than stock which is 245. If the nittos run small like I hear they do then they should look similar to what I have now. I'm afraid if I go with the 275 then it will bulge and wear in the middle. I had that problem years ago when I went too wide on my old firebird with stock GTA wheels. They looked cool but wore in the middle. If I had the money I'd go with some 18's with DD's in the rear but I'm too poor. hehe...