Nitto dr's vs. bfg dr's for my daily driver

At what pressure did you snap your axles, MustangLife? I was told to keep them around 20psi and I've made about 10 passes on them at Brainerd at that psi w/ no problems. I know I'm not getting the most out of them at that psi but I can drive home. I'll be getting a new diff / axles very soon so I can really take advantage of them.

• Sponsors (?)

03gtmustang said:
So best psi for the nittos on the track is 14-23. What do you guys think about putting the 275's on the stock 17x8 rims?

You will get better traction with a 245/45 than a 275/40 on the stock 8" rim. Go to Nitto's site. The narrowest rim within the 275 mounting range is 9".

On a 17x8 Just go ahead and get the 275/40/17. I think the reason nitto says to get 245 for a 17x8 is to protect there @sses! Just like bfg's say no lower than 10psi. I know a few ppl who drop to 8psi,all they do is hook better!

JLstang351 said:
On a 17x8 Just go ahead and get the 275/40/17. I think the reason nitto says to get 245 for a 17x8 is to protect there @sses! Just like bfg's say no lower than 10psi. I know a few ppl who drop to 8psi,all they do is hook better!

Actually, the reason they set rim widths for tires is because of the whole science of rim width and section width and how rim width affects the section width. The contact patch of a tire gets wider or narrower depending on the width of the rim that the tire is mounted on. Go to tirerack.com and do some homework before drawing a conclusion on this. Otherwise you will just waste your money on tires that you can't use to their full potential because you put it on too narrow a rim. A 245 will wear better and grip better on an 8" rim than a 275 will.

Nobody said:
Actually, the reason they set rim widths for tires is because of the whole science of rim width and section width and how rim width affects the section width. The contact patch of a tire gets wider or narrower depending on the width of the rim that the tire is mounted on. Go to tirerack.com and do some homework before drawing a conclusion on this. Otherwise you will just waste your money on tires that you can't use to their full potential because you put it on too narrow a rim. A 245 will wear better and grip better on an 8" rim than a 275 will.

BUt do you know of anyone who as actaully tested both of the tires.I understand what your saying,but im a lil hard headed, I would really be curious if anyone has ever tested this theory! ANYONE?

Can anyone clairify on the drag radial issue? There is now another set of Nitto drag radials other than the nt-555r drag radial that is a mix between a drag radial and sort of autocross tire. It is the NT-555R2 (305/30/18). Also, there are two sets of BFG drag radials out too; the comp t/a and the gforce t/a. We all know that the comp t/a's don't last that long but will the gforce t/a be any different? It has a different tread design than the comps and is a bit harder compound. Same as the new Nitto. I am getting rear tires in about a monht also and am contemplating either the gforce t/a (295/35/18 on 10" wheel) or the nt 555r2 (305/30/18 on 10" wheel). Which would be better and my car is a daily driver?

JLstang351 said:
BUt do you know of anyone who as actaully tested both of the tires.I understand what your saying,but im a lil hard headed, I would really be curious if anyone has ever tested this theory! ANYONE?

Look through your back issues of MM&FF. They did a rim/tire combo handling test. Also, look at what the best handling cars come with. Ferrari, BMW, Porsche. Just look at the rim/tire combos they put together on their 'spare no expense' packages. Look at the 2000 Cobra R or the Z06. If you really want to know who did the testing and came to these conclusions, look at the best handling cars out there, go to an ALMS race and get a pit pass and look at any rim/tire combo on any LMP car and then decide if you can argue against their R&D, testing and decisions in their rim/tire combos. For these guys, it's not looks that matter, it's performance. Just because a tire looks right, doesn't mean it is.

ga01blkgt said:
Can anyone clairify on the drag radial issue? There is now another set of Nitto drag radials other than the nt-555r drag radial that is a mix between a drag radial and sort of autocross tire. It is the NT-555R2 (305/30/18). Also, there are two sets of BFG drag radials out too; the comp t/a and the gforce t/a. We all know that the comp t/a's don't last that long but will the gforce t/a be any different? It has a different tread design than the comps and is a bit harder compound. Same as the new Nitto. I am getting rear tires in about a monht also and am contemplating either the gforce t/a (295/35/18 on 10" wheel) or the nt 555r2 (305/30/18 on 10" wheel). Which would be better and my car is a daily driver?

I believe Nitto is coming out with 18" drag radials soon, so maybe give their customer service an email to see when. The 555R2 are road-racing tires and have very different characteristics over the 555R. They have a much stiffer sidewall that is resistant to flex. This is good for autox'ing and road-racing, but not good for drag racing.