Nm Here!!

carguy1976

Jan 5, 2017
Just joined the group and looking for some advice on a transmission swap. I have a 1993 foxbody with manual tranny. I am needing to convert it to automatic (knee problems) and hoping to get some recommendations on a good transmission. I have about 485rwhp and don't really want to go with Ford OD. I do not race the car, but I do like to jack with the young punks that think their honda civics are cool.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

1993 fox body (200x113).jpg

1993 fox body
heat track trick flow intake
trick flow stage 1 cam
1.6 roller rockers
AFR 165CC heads
42lb summit injectors
3.73 gears
paxton supercharger
bbk headers

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Welcome to stangnet brother.

I'll move your thread over to the '79-'95 general talk subforum.

Lots of help for us fox guys there.

Lots of options out there. Don't limit yourself, you could even put in an newer electronic controlled trans. They make control packs for them now, you cN set shift points and firmness

It's pretty simple really,..There is only one non-OD transmission that won't be a trade off in durability over efficiency loss through internal drag and weight.
A C-4 can be built to withstand your power levels. Over the way more heavier and larger C-6, a C-4 has been proven be the faster transmission when doing side by side comparisons to it's sluggish, much heavier brother. It just has to be modified accordingly to withstand the abuse.

But,....w. a 3.73 rear gear,...I'll bet that before you experience very many miles w/o the benefit of a 4th-5th gear,..you'll be sick of the revs. How does 60 MPH @ 3000 RPM sound to you on the interstate?

Between the AODe, and the newer, more robust 4R70w you can get the necessary outboard controller to control (and modify) the shifting of one of those transmissions. Granted,...they are every bit as heavy as a C-6 (or more) but the 4th gear and converter L/U capabilities will be a welcome thing when you can put the car in the same interstate scenario and only see 2400 RPM, only at 70 MPH instead of 60..

Reactions: 1 users
Mike is correct with getting tired of high revs, drove my old baracuda about 200 miles with a mild 360, 391 rear gear and a torqueflite, after an hour I swear that thing was talking to me at 3100 rpms, it was the late 70's sooooo, could have been influenced.
There is gearvendors overdrive, no doubt they will hold up to you paltry sub 500 horse ride, :stick:don't know what their weight is or price but it's something to consider for longevity.
Good look'n car, no doubt you've read some stuff here because you posted pics without be'n prodded,
Welcome aboard

thanks for the input guys...........very helpful tips. I will keep everyone posted on the progress of the car. My next project is a coyote swap on a 1993 cobra.....stay tuned!!

Dude you can do anything you want to any car you own,...but IMO, of all of the fox mustangs to swap a coyote into it seems that a 93 Cobra (if it is in fact a 93 Cobra) Are the worst candidates for that. Your car (if it's nice, and original) will be damaged resale wise w/o the orig engine. It, and a 79 pace car are the ONLY two of that body style that command a higher resale than the rest of the hoard,....and swapping in a different engine,.......especially when considering what has to be done to accommodate a Coyote engine in a fox, will cause you to lose thousands of dollars.

But like I said in the beginning,....not my call. C'est la vie.

Reactions: 1 users