NO ABS = Smoking brake pads? heh

well my ABS light has been on for some time now, but it never bothered me much. yesterday some other mustang wanted to play around, and after getting on it i got on the brakes and noticed they locked up on the freeway pretty good and car was just sliding heh. After that i noticed smoke comming up into my window/ and also maybe through from AC vents. I was just thinking that since my abs light is on my ABS is probably not working like someone else mentioned and so now the pads are in full continous contact witht he rotors so they possibly got too hott?

Is this safe to say? kuz i really freaked out afterwards and just ordered new rotors and pads. My rotors are kinda thin been resurfaced atleast once, maybe twice. pads look ok altho lately i havent been a fan of these motorcraft pads which did seem great when they were new

• Sponsors (?)

well my ABS light has been on for some time now, but it never bothered me much. yesterday some other mustang wanted to play around, and after getting on it i got on the brakes and noticed they locked up on the freeway pretty good and car was just sliding heh. After that i noticed smoke comming up into my window/ and also maybe through from AC vents. I was just thinking that since my abs light is on my ABS is probably not working like someone else mentioned and so now the pads are in full continous contact witht he rotors so they possibly got too hott?

Is this safe to say? kuz i really freaked out afterwards and just ordered new rotors and pads. My rotors are kinda thin been resurfaced atleast once, maybe twice. pads look ok altho lately i havent been a fan of these motorcraft pads which did seem great when they were new

In addition to the rotors and pads why not also get whatever it is that's needed to fix the ABS problem so that you don't have the same problem down the road.

Spunds like you locked up the wheels and they were sklidding on th pavement. The smoke you got was most likely tire smoke. Depending on how fast you were going and how long they were locked up, you either lightly or severly flat spotted your front tires. If the rotors dont feel warped (pedal pulsation when you apply the brakes) and the pads have enough material on them the brakes are fine. Dont waste any money there. Check your tires tho...If your front end is "thump, thump, thumping" down the road chances are you will need new front tires. Lift up the front end and spin the tires to check for any visible flat spots.

Spunds like you locked up the wheels and they were sklidding on th pavement. The smoke you got was most likely tire smoke. Depending on how fast you were going and how long they were locked up, you either lightly or severly flat spotted your front tires. If the rotors dont feel warped (pedal pulsation when you apply the brakes) and the pads have enough material on them the brakes are fine. Dont waste any money there. Check your tires tho...If your front end is "thump, thump, thumping" down the road chances are you will need new front tires. Lift up the front end and spin the tires to check for any visible flat spots.

hey i think i have a flat spot like u suggested, altho i havent seen it yet i believe i feel one now that i think i just didn't notice before. How bad/safe is it for me to drive around with a flatspot if i do indeed have one? this may not really be a bad thing tho since i need a new tire compound anyways since i cant get traction since the gear install

Well I flatspotted a pair of kumho 712s on at gingerman raceway (a road course in michigan)....this was early on in the track day. I locked up at about 105-110 ish and misssed a turn and went into the grass. Nedless to say the tires were locked from top speed all the way to a complete stop. They were flatsptted pretty bad down to the belts on the flatspot...I gently tracked them the rest of the day and drove home on them which was about 180 mi. I wouldent recommend what I did...but check the flatspot, if there is still rubber there you may be ok if you dont mind the thumping. Just remember you are causing extra wear on wheel bearings, etc when you drive with the flatspot. How much extra wear, prolly not too much, but it is worth noting.