No Brake Lights, Shifter Stuck In Park

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by 92LX50, Nov 3, 2013.

1. The victim is a 1992 LX 5.0 I can't get the shifter out of park when started. If I turn the key half way, I can shift it to neutral , start it then proceed to drive or reverse. I also noticed the brake lights don't work and wondered if these are related issues. The shifter thing I can live with, but the brake lights need to work. Brake light fuse is good and just bought a new brake pedal switch but haven't installed it yet, hoping this will solve the problem but any other input would be appreciated.
  2. Youre on the right track if the fuses are good. You could check the old switch with a volt meter if you have one already.
  3. Brake light switch if i had to guess powers the shifter lock so if it is no good there will be no power going to the lock.
  4. You've probably knocked the brake light switch out of its holder above the brake pedal arm. To get the car out of park in the meantime, there's a shifter lockout override, I think in this case it's past a little notch in the bottom edge of the console where it meets the trans tunnel. Stick a screwdriver in there and push backward (or forward, I can't remember) and that triggers the override and lets you get it out of park.
  5. Thanks guys. Just want to follow up in case anyone else searches this problem. It was the brake light switch causing the shifter to stay locked. I hadn't noticed the brake lights not working since I don't drive much. So I guess if your automatic is stuck in park, check your brake lights first ;)