No Cats - Check Engine Light - Help

world.of.wheels

Dec 16, 2003
I am purchasing a 97 Cobra that has a check engine light issue I am told. It does not come on all of the time, just every once and awhile. The car has brand new exhaust from front to back, no Cats anymore. I believe by research this is most likely the culprit - No Cats. If so, what is the best and cheapest fix for this problem, and how much am I likely to spend. How can I be sure it is the CATS making the engine light come on.

Thanks
Jason

• Sponsors (?)

blk32V said:
MIL eliminator from Dallas Mustang. 60 dollars and pretty easy to install, I am getting some this xams along with my VRS offroad x!

Yep, the MIL eliminators will almost certainly clear up the problem. I put on a set with my prochamber and haven't had any problems with the check engine light. I also passed my emissions test with no trouble since it's just a computer check for OBDII cars. I'm not sure if the 97 is OBDII or not? If your emissions test is a sniffer, I don't know if you can pass without cats.

world.of.wheels said:
... How can I be sure it is the CATS making the engine light come on...

If you want to be absolutely certain as to why your CEL is on, have the PCM/computer scanned for trouble codes. Since you are catless, chances are *pretty good* it's because you need MIL Elims (see www.ponyexpressperformance.com ), but that doesn't mean the check eng light is on solely because of this one particular issue. Got it?

:cheers:

COBRA90GT said:
If you want to be absolutely certain as to why your CEL is on, have the PCM/computer scanned for trouble codes. Since you are catless, chances are *pretty good* it's because you need MIL Elims (see www.ponyexpressperformance.com ), but that doesn't mean the check eng light is on solely because of this one particular issue. Got it?

:cheers:

Yeah definitely have the puter scanned before you buy it, or look and see if it has MILs on it already or not.

sinisterblack98 said:
Yeah definitely have the puter scanned before you buy it, or look and see if it has MILs on it already or not.

How can yo tell if MILS in installed already. Where does it go? Where are the front two and back two O2 sensors located?

Thanks
Jason

It's not the lack of cats then, if the MILS aren't in place the check engine light will come on but driveability won't be affected (not noticeable anyway).

Get the owner to agree to have it fixed or pay for YOU to have it diagnosed would be my best advice. Or just walk away if you can...

Good luck

Purchased my 96 Mystic and it as well had a constant "check engine" light. I purchased the mililliminators and installed them.(about $60) The light went out for a few days then came back on. I think its possible that now the o2 sensors may be damaged(thoughts?) You can also have your computer chip programmed to kill the light so if you plan that save the money on the mils.-shane

sinisterblack98 said:
It's not the lack of cats then, if the MILS aren't in place the check engine light will come on but driveability won't be affected (not noticeable anyway).

Get the owner to agree to have it fixed or pay for YOU to have it diagnosed would be my best advice. Or just walk away if you can...

Good luck

world.of.wheels said:
I also just found out that the car wil not rev past 3,500 rpm now. After the new exhaust was put on, the car will not go above 3,500 rpm - cuts out.

Jason

Something is wrong then. That is NOT because of the exhaust setup. Make sure you know exactly what is wrong before you buy the car. Have the owner take it in somewhere. How many miles are on the car? What other mods?