no gas on 15th

• Sponsors (?)

it is true that biodiesel and ethanol blends burn cleaner with less emissions, and may have higher energy content. the problem lies with them being labelled a "greener" fuel. production of biodiesel actually consumes more fuel than it produces. and that fuel is usually hydrocarbons. the energy to grow, harvest, transport, refine, and transport again is more than what is produced from the finished product. it's rediculous. it's on the same level of stupidity in my books, as oil companies in the north using gasoline powered engines to run giant air conditioning units, with pipes underground in order to keep the ground frozen. why is the permafrost now melting, and their buildings sinking? because the gas they produce causes global warming. the solution: burn more gas to produce more gas??........ yeah....:nice:
look this kinda stuff up, and you'd be amazed at what you can find. it's all politics and bottom lines.

oh - right now, the real limit to hydrogen fuel cells is the cost of platinum. there is only about as much platinum on earth to fill an average living room. the problem now is funding for research to find a comparable catalyst that is not as expensive or rare as platinum to bring the costs down and make it practical, but there is no government support for this kind of research right now.

A friend sent this email to me...pass it on!

Dear god you're a ****ing idiot. :nonono:

On average, a dollar extra a gallon ($2 vs $3) costs an extra $600 a year....or $50 a month....on average.

If $600 dollars a year is causing someone this much of a headache....maybe gas prices are the least of their worries. A better career perhaps?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

It amazes me the amount of idiots that can't understand that. Back in high school I was filling up at about $1.50 a gallon(althought I do remember some .99 days), and making about $150 a week. Some real simply math, and I could have bought up to 100 gallons a week. :lol: I wasn't, but I sure was driving my 89 back then as if gas was free. I didn't care one bit. 7 years later, I'm making a lot more money. Ill say about 700 a week average. Lets do some simple math again and WOW, gas isn't $7 a gallon. Looks like I'm WAY ahead of the game.

Dear god you're a ****ing idiot. :nonono:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

It amazes me the amount of idiots that can't understand that. Back in high school I was filling up at about $1.50 a gallon(althought I do remember some .99 days), and making about $150 a week. Some real simply math, and I could have bought up to 100 gallons a week. :lol: I wasn't, but I sure was driving my 89 back then as if gas was free. I didn't care one bit. 7 years later, I'm making a lot more money. Ill say about 700 a week average. Lets do some simple math again and WOW, gas isn't $7 a gallon. Looks like I'm WAY ahead of the game.

so true... I think it's funny to see people WAIT in LINE with THEIR ENGINES IDLING for up to an hour to save 3 bucks on a tank... IF they would do an hour of overtime at work and not wait in line they would actually make cash lol

this whole idea is not nearly as good as one i saw in a chain email a few years back. this one requires everyone to work together for one day and then the next day when everyone gases up they can just jack up the prices again. a better idea would be for everyone all year long all the time to avoid going to mobil/exxon stations because they are by far the largest in the market. there are so many choices out there for gas how difficult would it be to chose shell or getty or whatever? i havent gone to mobil for gas in years and its not that difficult. if everyone did it we could essentially control the price of gas.

omg I HATE those chains... It makes no sense. L 0 0 K

Gas stations buy their gas weekly. They buy from companies who buy from the big corporations.

Therefore everyone who stops buying gas on 1 day, will eventually return the next day. The only thing this would do is hurt the small business owners, and even then it would only be for a day as they would be twice as busy the next day :rolleyes:

Let's look at it this way.
--Drill ship/platform in the Gulf of Mexico can be as much or more than $1,000,000 per day.
--Make production platform in the middle of the sea in the hundreds of millions dollar range (100-200 million comes to mind).
--Laying hundreds of miles of subsea pipeline to get it to a refinery @ $30-70/foot
--Refine the crude (about half of a given volume of oil is made gasoline more or less) and add additives to keep your engine clean
--Pipeline/barge it to distribution points.
--Truck it to your local convenience store
There's more to it than I explained.

Y'all go ahead and:
Enjoy that $1 bottle of water or $1.20 bottle of soda (equates $8-9/gallon) you are drinking.
And thank the farmer for that $3 gallon of milk. They have lots of costs/overheads too (my family goes though 3 gal. per week which is fine)

It all comes down to supply and demand economics. Demand goes up for a given supply, price goes up or conversely if supply goes up and demand stays the same price will decrease.
The only way to change the price of gas is to change habits/lifestyle (ie drive less, more efficient cars, etc) or increase supply. All this don't buy fuel on May 15th is BS. These oil companies spend BILLIONS AND BILLIONS of dollars every year drilling for oil and gas because demand is there.
To change price, you have to change demand, and help out the environment at the same time.
The worth of anything is simply what someone is willing to pay you for it.
Oh and rest assured that they oil and gas industry will work themselves out of jobs in the future, they do it all the time.

gas companies have been screwing us for a while. they bring it up to $3+, not because costs are up, but so that when its at $2.50 people think its cheap.

EXACTLY!!!

They wrote an artical a year or two ago saying gas could possibly go up to $5/gal by the end of the summer. It never happened, but it planted the idea that "it could be worse" in everyone's head. it's ridiculous, but there's nothing we can do, so i just shut up and pay it.

one of those chain letters go around every year and NO ONE does it

omg I HATE those chains... It makes no sense. L 0 0 K

Gas stations buy their gas weekly. They buy from companies who buy from the big corporations.

Therefore everyone who stops buying gas on 1 day, will eventually return the next day. The only thing this would do is hurt the small business owners, and even then it would only be for a day as they would be twice as busy the next day :rolleyes:

small business owners do not make their money on the gas. they make most of their money with people buying stuff inside their store

Let's look at it this way.
--Drill ship/platform in the Gulf of Mexico can be as much or more than $1,000,000 per day.
--Make production platform in the middle of the sea in the hundreds of millions dollar range (100-200 million comes to mind).
--Laying hundreds of miles of subsea pipeline to get it to a refinery @ $30-70/foot
--Refine the crude (about half of a given volume of oil is made gasoline more or less) and add additives to keep your engine clean
--Pipeline/barge it to distribution points.
--Truck it to your local convenience store
There's more to it than I explained.

Y'all go ahead and:
Enjoy that $1 bottle of water or $1.20 bottle of soda (equates $8-9/gallon) you are drinking.
And thank the farmer for that $3 gallon of milk. They have lots of costs/overheads too (my family goes though 3 gal. per week which is fine)

It all comes down to supply and demand economics. Demand goes up for a given supply, price goes up or conversely if supply goes up and demand stays the same price will decrease.
The only way to change the price of gas is to change habits/lifestyle (ie drive less, more efficient cars, etc) or increase supply. All this don't buy fuel on May 15th is BS. These oil companies spend BILLIONS AND BILLIONS of dollars every year drilling for oil and gas because demand is there.
To change price, you have to change demand, and help out the environment at the same time.
The worth of anything is simply what someone is willing to pay you for it.
Oh and rest assured that they oil and gas industry will work themselves out of jobs in the future, they do it all the time.

I agree with you, just my only question then is: Why are big oil companies posting record profits in the past 3 years??

I agree with you, just my only question then is: Why are big oil companies posting record profits in the past 3 years??

Because oil has been so expensive due to demand. Believe me, it will come back down. Supply worldwide (oil companies production of crude)has been decreasing over the last 10 years or so and demand for oil has gone up with China and India starting to drive automobiles, etc. Oil prices are higher, therefore the companies rake in the cash. And at the same time the oil companies take riskier investments drilling wells because the reward to do so is there. This leads to more supply and deflating prices which should help hold prices down should demand stay the same.
I can remember a time when oil was $8-$12 per 42 gallon barrel and people were still paying a buck a gallon for gas. Do the math on that.
In the oil field it is boom and bust time and time again. This is a boom of unheard of proportions. It will settle down once they have worked themselves out of jobs.

Word to the wise. If you want a job that will start you right out of college (4 year degree) @ $80,000+/year bonuses not included, go to a petroleum engineering school. The industry is hurting for people. But then again, when the boom is over you will be in the soup line unless you are fiscally responsible and sock all that extra money away.