No power after 5k?

BLACKCOUPEGT

Aug 9, 2009
hey guys, I rarely post on here and I'm new to the mustang world but I've got a question... I've noticed since I've owned my mustang (since this past July) that engine power seems to die off around 5,000rpm. It's never really been noticeable and I figured it was probably due to a/c being on or something like that, but its been kind of bothering me lately and I figured I would be safe and make sure there wasn't actually something wrong. I have an 04 GT couple with the 5spd. it just rolled 30,000 miles and runs great. The car is 100% stock except for short throw shifter (installed after purchase) and what looks like an x pipe (possible leak?) and stock cat back that was on the car when i bought it. Basically what I'm getting to is, is there something wrong, or is this pretty normal for a totally stock gt? there are no error codes and the car runs fine, but it just worries me how much it struggles to rev past 5k. hopefully someone on here that knows more than me can give me some good news!:D

• Sponsors (?)

sounds about right, 4.6 2V cars STOCK. have nothing after 5k
stage 2 heads/cams, gears, intake, long tubes will give you power up to 6000 RPM safe

a cheaper option would be.fixing ur exhaust leek and cams only + good tune
help guys am i forgetting something?

"Struggling" to get past 5000 does not sound normal.

If that aftermarket X-pipe has cats it's possible one (or, less likely, both) cats have failed and are impeding exhaust flow. This can happen if the substrate separates from the housing and the core ends up cockeyed in the housing, partially blocking the exit. Depending on the degree of blockage, that could cause power loss at higher RPM and large throttle angles.

Clean out your TPS, replace the fuel filter and check your plugs. It should pull till 6k.

"Struggling" to get past 5000 does not sound normal.

If that aftermarket X-pipe has cats it's possible one (or, less likely, both) cats have failed and are impeding exhaust flow. This can happen if the substrate separates from the housing and the core ends up cockeyed in the housing, partially blocking the exit. Depending on the degree of blockage, that could cause power loss at higher RPM and large throttle angles.

:stupid: Although it wont pull as hard at 6k as it will at 5k, it shouldn't "struggle". Does it sound funny past 5k? Could be bad plugs not firing.

It would be good to know the OP's definition of "struggling".

I have 147k on my 00' and bought it with 62k. It will pull to 6k, but as others have mentioned it really drops on power after 5k. It rises easy to the 6k mark, but I almost define it as kinda free spinning. Going past 5500 on a stock motor GT is nearly pointless.

i guess struggling is a pretty strong term. it revs up to redline pretty good but after 5k it just seems to lose some of the "oomph" i guess, nothing serious and no noises. im going to check the tps, plugs, and have the exhaust looked at this week. thanks for all the replies guys.

It would be good to know the OP's definition of "struggling".

I have 147k on my 00' and bought it with 62k. It will pull to 6k, but as others have mentioned it really drops on power after 5k. It rises easy to the 6k mark, but I almost define it as kinda free spinning. Going past 5500 on a stock motor GT is nearly pointless.

agreed

i guess struggling is a pretty strong term. it revs up to redline pretty good but after 5k it just seems to lose some of the "oomph" i guess, nothing serious and no noises. im going to check the tps, plugs, and have the exhaust looked at this week. thanks for all the replies guys.

Sounds like your engine is just fine. Wont hurt to check the plugs, but the rest I don't think is worth while.

Yeah, that's what I thought you meant originally... my car behaves exactly the same and aside from the pulleys and clutch quadrant, it is stock. And with 78k on the clock it's not even close to worn out. It's just a matter of the power band of a street friendly cammed mass produced engine. The only point of it revving to 6k in my eyes is so you can get to 60MPH in 2nd gear, to improve that score in magazine testing.

My stock 00 hits 60 in 2nd with plenty of rpms left

As does mine, I think it tops out around 65 in 2nd. My point was that the only reason to rev it that high would be to get a good 0-60 time for a magazine review by avoiding a 2-3 shift. My old modded (210 RWHp) 3.8L Camaro pulled off 0-57, in 5.8 Seconds, hitting the rev limiter at 6300, but 0-60 was measured at 6.3 seconds... getting to 60 in 2nd gear is often what seperates a good time from a mediocre time.

I'm surprised you guys are denying that there isn't a noticeable reduction in acceleration after 5k. Sure it keeps going pretty strong, but there is a marked difference from 5k-6k. Max Hp is made around 5200 RPM, and max torque is at 4000 RPM... it's out of the power band up there.

Im surprised that so many people are saying that it's normal. My GT pulls pretty hard all the way up to redline :shrug:

Much agreed. My granddad's 01 auto vert sure seems to me like it does pretty well all the way up to redline. When it shifts from 1 to 2, the speedometer jumps from 42 to 50. Loss of power you guys say? :shrug: Granted it isn't anything compared to his Mach 1, I thought it does pretty good right up to 6k.

I'm surprised you guys are denying that there isn't a noticeable reduction in acceleration after 5k. Sure it keeps going pretty strong, but there is a marked difference from 5k-6k. Max Hp is made around 5200 RPM, and max torque is at 4000 RPM... it's out of the power band up there.

This sounds about right... theres obvious power from 5-6k but its not like how it is from 3500 or so to 5k. I've got some mods planned for the future that should alleviate this problem though. thanks for all the responses :nice:

Remembering when my car was stock ...

It seemed to "hit a wall" around 5000 rpms.

Some Comp 262 cams, plenum, CAI, throttle body, catted X-pipe and cat-back later ...

it pulls hard right through redline.