No reverse, but drive, 2nd and 1st gear work fine?

tiptop

Apr 6, 2008
hey have a 1998 ford ranger with a 2.5 litre 4 cylinder engine, and an automatic tranny, well tonight i was backing up and got about 2 truck lenths and then bang, I thought i hit a car, it was quite loud, more of a thud, and then just reving in reverse, but all my other gears work fine, no slipping, no loss of power, or anything like that, here are a few questions

1. what model number is my tranny?
2. what would cause this problem? something simple? something major?
3. how many years did they make the 2.5 engine with that tranny?
4. are all 4 cylinder ranger trannys from say 98 to 2008 the same?
thanks alot guys, also it was like minus 40 degrees celcius here tonight.

• Sponsors (?)

Not exactly sure on that year, but Rangers have a version of the A4LD trans that came in four cylinder Mustangs. Also Explorers and such. The four speed overdrive versions in Mustangs were not noted as very strong transmissions. However it has been upgraded unitl it is now the basis of the 5 speed auto trans in the current Mustang GT, as well as v8 Explorers, et.

Basicly sounds like a servo, band or clutch failed. I would get it looked at before driving it much, in case it had metal particles get loose.

If you swap, you probably should clearly verify the interchange, or stick to exaclty the same year.

"The good news is the accelerator is fixed. The bad news is the transmission is screwed!" basically what rd said. I hope it's something easy to fix.

my tranny guy says he thinks that the reverse band broke, tats what that loud pop was, he gonna work on it today, should have it back pretty soon, will give an update one i find out for sure.