No spark, what the ...

miller92063

Oct 12, 2005
Nebraska
Last fall the car died in the middle of the road. I found out that the darn thing had no spark at the coil. Over the winter I bought a new distributor, so last week i put it in. And yes the car sat for 5 months, broken. After swappn them out I tried to start it, it started right up. Idle was off, it died after about a minute. started right back up. After ten minutes of running, I turned it off.
Next day changed the oil and spark plugs went to start it and no friggin spark again!
It's not the coil,
What gives? Loose wire somewhere?

• Sponsors (?)

I'd make sure the timing is right first, set at 10* and go from there. Make sure to disconnect the SPOUT when you do this.

If that checks out okay, do some diag. on the system. Visually inspect the cap and rotor to make sure they aren't faulty(look for cracks or burn marks).

Check resistance within the system. Primary resistance, with ignition off, should be 0.8-1.6 ohms. Secondary should be 7.7-10.5 K ohms. If it is not, replace the coil.

Just some ideas to help you get started. Good luck.

I know your pain. I have a weird issue with the stock ignition. The car won't start with the pill out but will start with the pill in. A couple of peeps said that's an indication of a bad computer. I haven't had time to do any diagnostics yet. But what's really weird is the car will start with the pill in or out with the MSD ignition :shrug:. So if you find out anything, please post the results because this problem seems rampant with many peeps so far this year.

Also, check ignition control module

Good luck