Noisy Interior?

Mar 3, 2016
Hey guys,
I hope you don't mind but I wanted to reach out and get some information & opinions regarding the noise level inside your rides.

We have developed a 4 layer sound deadening mat that takes about 30 seconds to install. Its pre cut & it just drops in. Place it over your carpet/mat in your trunk (there is not no adhesive) We designed and have been selling these for the Corvettes for years. It drop approx. 8 db's!
However we are looking to see if other makes and models have the same noise issues & could benefit from our mats. We would design it for the Mustangs.
I could not think of a better way to get solid info & opinions then to speak to the enthusiasts themselves.

Do you guys get a lot of tire & road noise? This applies especially to people in certain states like TX, FL, CA, where some roads make the tires roar.

Stock or after market exhaust to loud for long trips?

Since we want to make the mat pre shaped, I was wondering what years/gen if any, share the same trunk shape.

I appreciate any help. Thank you for reading this!

Ed

• Sponsors (?)

In my opinion the S197 Mustang interiors are pretty quite as built. In fact they are so quit that as part as the 2010 restyle Ford added a sound tube to pipe engine noise into the cabin.
As far as I know the shape of the truck floor is the same from '05 to '14

Last edited:
I have heard of that. However I also seen some people complaining about road noise. Exhaust here and there.... Again not 100% sure of the generation.
Now the tires will come into play on certain roads. For instance, we sell a ton of product to TX, then FL, CA and so on. The black top surface has small stones (or similar) or they have concreate roads, either create a ton of interior noise.
Quick story... I picked up my 14 stingary in PA. Driving back to long island NY I turned to my wife and said "boy, I can't believe how quiet it is" "Can't believe people buy our system for this gen.." ....and then somewhere between PA/NJ we hit concreate. We both jumped out of our skin. Couldn't hear each other talking. ....wow.

Thank you

Ed

Hmmm.... Might have considered a Cadillac, Lincoln Town Car, or some other hush bubble.

Aside from folks completely redoing interiors and installing dynamat or some other barrier between floor and carpet, I really don't see interior noise complaints.

Lots of exhaust drone threads but that's usually the result of some Ricky Rice Racer chambered exhaust and fart-can. Those dudes spent money to get that noise. :shrug:

Late model OEM vehicles like the S550? They're already quieter than most 4-door family sedans.

Hmmm.... Might have considered a Cadillac, Lincoln Town Car, or some other hush bubble.
....If they had run flats and or no barrier/ insulation I'd have the same problem.

Aside from folks completely redoing interiors and installing dynamat or some other barrier between floor and carpet, I really don't see interior noise complaints.
So there is noise , and some are turning to the butyl to damping it. Its why we are asking, our mat would eliminate the multi hour tear down/out of interior parts, carpet. A faster fix.

....If they had run flats and or no barrier/ insulation I'd have the same problem.

So there is noise , and some are turning to the butyl to damping it. Its why we are asking, our mat would eliminate the multi hour tear down/out of interior parts, carpet. A faster fix.

In the older cars perhaps but much less in the S197 and S550 platforms.

Reactions: 1 user

I'm sure your product is excellent and I don't pretend to know anything about marketing, but I don't think you will do well with 05 and up Mustangs. First off as I and others have said these cars already have very quite interiors with little to no road noise. Secondly its a performance car, most of us want to hear the engine and exhaust.in fact people spend considerable money on aftermarket exhaust systems that are louder then the factory system.
As I said in my first response the s197 Mustangs (05 to 14) are so quite that Ford a company who seems obsessed with reducing NVH felt the need install a sound tube to pipe engine noise into the cabin. So you have a car that both the manufacture and the owners spend money to make louder. I think you are barking up the wrong tree. But of course that is just my opinion and I could be wrong,maybe you will sell a ton of them if you make it. Good luck with your product.

What's more is that most Mustang buyers WANT to hear more of the car.

I think you might have a hard time selling "silence" to a new Mustang owner. It's probably not going to grab their attention.

You might be able to sell them a way to keep their interior nice if the item also looks nice and complements their interior. Hell.... something that kid proofs against cheerios, sippy cups, crayons, and french fries, would be a hit.

Now if you have something that silences children, you'll be the next dot-com alongside Google and Amazon. :D

I'm sure your product is excellent and I don't pretend to know anything about marketing, but I don't think you will do well with 05 and up Mustangs. First off as I and others have said these cars already have very quite interiors with little to no road noise. Secondly its a performance car, most of us want to hear the engine and exhaust.in fact people spend considerable money on aftermarket exhaust systems that are louder then the factory system.
As I said in my first response the s197 Mustangs (05 to 14) are so quite that Ford a company who seems obsessed with reducing NVH felt the need install a sound tube to pipe engine noise into the cabin. So you have a car that both the manufacture and the owners spend money to make louder. I think you are barking up the wrong tree. But of course that is just my opinion and I could be wrong,maybe you will sell a ton of them if you make it. Good luck with your product.

Nothing better then the sound of a good exhaust. I could not agree more. The reason I popped in was to see if you guys experienced the problems with unwanted sounds as some of the other manufactures did. Now when I say "unwanted sounds" I mean, well noise you would rather not hear like road & tire roar. There is nothing sexy about that. As I explained it can be so loud you can't hear yourself think, a passenger, blue tooth or your stereo. This is real prominent in certain states with certain roads. Our mats not only knock this out, they allow the sweet exhaust note to come through.. I just spoke with someone with a 14 in CA, he said he is experiencing very loud noise (not exhaust) in the cockpit.
So this is all great. The feedback, information and opinions from you and the gang is awesome. Plus talking cars with other enthusiasts......you can't beat that with a stick!
Thanks

Now if you have something that silences children, you'll be the next dot-com alongside Google and Amazon. :D

lol

Ed