Noisy Rear Axle

clintjackson

Jun 7, 2011
The question I present tonight is...how long does it take for new gear lube and friction modifier to get worked back into the clutch pack on a 98 rear axle? The Cobra rearend I used for my swap had been sittin around for a while and once it was all in it developed a chatter sound and had a binding feeling while backing up in a turn. I was told by my local Ford dealer that the oil change would be a gamble at worse and I could be in for a rebuild. The quote was for $180.00 to perform the service. I opted to do the work myself with Castol synthetic and some friction modifier as extra insurance. Cost me a whole $42.00 plus a couple hours. The tech also said it would take a couple hundred miles to work if it was going to. Does that sound right to everyone? It sounds better after spending some time doing figure 8's at my local park and ride. I might add that everything inside looked nice and clean, plus little to no play that I could feel. As always thanks in advance for the input.

• Sponsors (?)

If it was me, I would take it apart (center section) just to verify it is the clutches (you can properly lube them up at that time too), or, use regular gear oil for the break in (synthetic is really slippery) and use the friction modifier. Then after the break in,etc. rock and roll with the synthetic.