non-intercooled forced induction heat issues

ximportdriver

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 7, 2003
Rancho Cordova
For those of you with non-intercooled superchargers on your 5.0, do you experience heat issues, such as overheating, warping, melting, etc.?

I remember on my 99 supercharged Saleen that the engine was always really hot, but it performed well enough for me and nothing broke or overheated, and it was not intercooled I believe. So, is it similar on 5.0 motors?

I ask because if an intercooler is necessary, then I would feel most comfortable going with Procharger, but it appears that a battery relocation would be in order, which I don't want to do. If no intercooler is necessary, I would probably go with Vortech or even Kenne Bell.

If it matters, I only plan on a few mods in addition to the supercharger, namely heads, intake, 3.73 gears, brakes, axles, and heavy duty 5 speed transmission, and my goal is to make 350RWHP on a smog-legal vehicle in California.

If this question has been asked before, please know that I did try to find the answer first by using the search feature of this forum, but, alas, I did not find the information that I was looking for.

• Sponsors (?)

an additional note . . .

For those of you with non-intercooled superchargers on your 5.0, do you experience heat issues, such as overheating, warping, melting, etc.? . . . If it matters, I only plan on a few mods in addition to the supercharger, namely heads, intake, 3.73 gears, brakes, axles, and heavy duty 5 speed transmission, and my goal is to make 350RWHP on a smog-legal vehicle in California. . . .

I should note also that I live in Sacramento where it can get 100-115ºF during the summer, so it would seem to me to be a good idea to intercool an engine with that much power for consistency, but I would like to hear from those who have experience with this kind of setup to confirm my suspicions.

I'm running a 347 with a vortech and I don't have an inter cooler. I do have some heat issues, especially when sitting in traffic. I have gone with a larger radiator, after market water pump, but maintained the stock fan (as I hear they work real good in moving air ). I haven't overheated yet but came awfully close sitting in line at a drive thru taco shop. I just may look into installing one if that would help with peace of mind especially on really hot days.

I'm running a 347 with a vortech and I don't have an inter cooler. I do have some heat issues, especially when sitting in traffic. I have gone with a larger radiator, after market water pump, but maintained the stock fan (as I hear they work real good in moving air ). I haven't overheated yet but came awfully close sitting in line at a drive thru taco shop. I just may look into installing one if that would help with peace of mind especially on really hot days.

Grab yourself some electric fans that move a ton more CFM. I am close to overspinning my vortech which means it is producing some good heat at idle. I have a high flow pump, 180 degree thermo, Fluidyne rad and duel electric fans. NOT ONCE have I come close to overheating and I have sat for 30 minutes idling in 100 degrees.

Thanks fiveohwblow for that bit of info. I am set up basically the same as you except for the elec fans. I have an edlebrock high flow water pump, 180 thermo, modine 3core radiatior., which the brackets were modified to accept the wider radiator. What brand of elec fans are you using? I would like to check into them, I don't know if I should be concerned with clearence with the wider radiator and all.

here's a pic of mine installed, they were a bit big:

car_fan.jpg