non-mustang Ford Preventive maintenance ?

jes72mustang

Mar 31, 2005
S. Central PA
I know it's not mustang but I always get good info from you guys so here it goes.

I have an e-150 van, triton v-8 5.4L, it has about 58,000 miles and the gas milage seems to be really bad lately. Anyone know what the suggested preventive maintenance is for the 60000 mile interval. It is about due for an oil change and tire rotation, which I do myself. I think the tranny could use serviced, probably a tune-up and new feul filter, air filter and injectors cleaned. I don't have the manual with me, but am I missing anything that would help with the gas consumption.

My wife started talking about wanting a more feul efficient vehicle, but we have 5 kids and tow a 3500 pound camper so there really isn't much of an alternative.

• Sponsors (?)

jes72mustang said:
...probably a tune-up and new feul filter, air filter and injectors cleaned...

When I picked up my F150 (5.4L, too) with 69 thousand on the clock; first thing I did was change out the fuel filter! It had been covered under the 50k "service package"; but it was still very cruddy. (Just pour the residual gas out of the filter's intake port into a glass jar - it will scare you!)
I'm also on my second replacement air filter since buying the truck in December - in only 6000 miles. Now, my truck lives in a pretty dusty environment, so you can understand it a little. But it's pretty easy to see stuff like this wherever you live.
Good luck on the quest for more MPG; best I've gotten was 15.8 city/hiway on one tank. From what I've read/heard on other boards, that's not too bad for a stock Supercab 4x4 with all the heavy "Lariat" accessories. First thing I'm gonna do is trash the stock fan/clutch and hang a FAL e-fan/shroud on it. Supposed to be worth anywhere from 3-10 ponies and an average 1-2 MPG; but Holy Crap! - best price I can find is $400 including fans, shroud, mounts, thermostat and controller. It is kinda big (dual 16" fans); and it's apparently sourced to Ford for the Crown Vic's that light you up for not watching speed limit signs. But if you work that van daily (like I do with my truck) it will probably pay for itself pretty quickly unless a miracle occurs and gas prices go down a bunch :rolleyes: