Non mustang tech: but need help

It is mustang related because i have to drive my mustang everywhere now that i cant figure out what is wrong with my 1994 Saturn SC1.

My car started overheating and i got home and the fan was not on. I thought it may be a waterpump but everything flows nice and the radiator looks to be in good shape.

I tried to see what was going on so I had the car running and the fan was on but once the temp hit normal the fan shut off then the car started to overheat and the fan did not come back on.

I thought maybe the fan motor was getting hot and it wouldnt come back on because of that. I got another fan from the junkyard and put it in but this one never came on and both fans work when you hook them to a power source.

I checked all the fuses and relays but nothing there. Could there be a sensor or something that needs to be replaced any suggestions would be helpful.

And BTW my mustang is being sold this week so I really need to get my DD running.

• Sponsors (?)

alright man...hard to try to diagnose over the internet but check to see if your temp. sensor is working correctly. there are two diff. temp sensors. one for you r gauge which is only one wire, and another which will be three wires usually. it is most of the time found right before the thermostate and tells the comp. when to turn the fan on or off. it sounds like it might be bad but dont quote me.:D ummm if that all checks out good then u may have a bad comp. but you have to get wiring diagram from somewhere and really do some tests. remember what they say.....electrical problems take hours to find and only minutes to fix.:) gl on your problem.. oh and when i go to work tomarrow i will see if i cant look up a wiring diagram and help u out more. i will also check out some tsb's and stuff like that.:SNSign:

96SCstang said:
alright man...hard to try to diagnose over the internet but check to see if your temp. sensor is working correctly. there are two diff. temp sensors. one for you r gauge which is only one wire, and another which will be three wires usually. it is most of the time found right before the thermostate and tells the comp. when to turn the fan on or off. it sounds like it might be bad but dont quote me.:D ummm if that all checks out good then u may have a bad comp. but you have to get wiring diagram from somewhere and really do some tests. remember what they say.....electrical problems take hours to find and only minutes to fix.:) gl on your problem.. oh and when i go to work tomarrow i will see if i cant look up a wiring diagram and help u out more. i will also check out some tsb's and stuff like that.:SNSign:

+1
Sounds like a coolant sensor problem.

Outlaw97GT said:
I would try the coolant sensor for the ecm first. You also have a fan relay, so you might try swapin' relays around. Ford uses alot of the same style relays for everything..... just a thought.

yeah i swapped the relays for the a/c and the cooling fan to see if that was it but the a/c worked with the relay for the fan in its place.

so i guess ill try to get a coolant sensor and switch that out.

Try turning the AC on full blast, and see if the fans come on and stay on. If they do, then the relay is ok. If they go on and turn off, or just stay off, I'd say relay issues. Another +1 for the Coolant Temp Sensor as well. Not the Coolant Switch. Make sure that the coolant level is up to par, and the thermostat is working properly and is the correct temperature. That, and make sure your cooling system is pressurizing, and staying pressurized. Any of the above can make the fans not operate properly.

Dope 97GT said:
i replaced the sensor and the fan still doesnt come on.

when i took the old sensor out it was cracked and fell apart but still does not work.

Man, I thought for sure that was your problem....:(
OBD1 cars are harder to trouble shoot also. The only other thing I can think of is maybe your ECM....:shrug:
But that would be a costly item to replace not knowing if you need it or not.

Outlaw97GT said:
Man, I thought for sure that was your problem....:(
OBD1 cars are harder to trouble shoot also. The only other thing I can think of is maybe your ECM....:shrug:
But that would be a costly item to replace not knowing if you need it or not.

yeah I know I took out the sensor and it was cracked in half. and then fell apart in my hands so I thought for sure that was the problem but nope still nothing. My friends sc2 had the same thing happen but he just hardwired the fan to the fuse box and turns it on when he gets in so I may try that.

Dope 97GT said:
yeah I know I took out the sensor and it was cracked in half. and then fell apart in my hands so I thought for sure that was the problem but nope still nothing. My friends sc2 had the same thing happen but he just hardwired the fan to the fuse box and turns it on when he gets in so I may try that.

You can get a thermostat kit to wire into the fan, it will kick on the fan at what ever temp you set it at. Cost ya around 25.00.
http://www.haydenauto.com/electricfans.htm

Dope 97GT said:
I have never done it, I have only had the car for 6 months i got it for 800 but its my DD so I need it to run right.
Overtime as your coolant gets old it will stop working as we'll
and inturn your car will run hotter.It is worth a try though.
If this car is your DD than you should be on top of the maintenance
not matter what you paid for it if you want your Saturn to run
and be dependable.It is possible their could be something clogged up
in their? Their could also be something seriously wrong with your
cooling system somewhere.
The best of luck I hope you fined the fix. :nice: