Not enough aftermarket!

Motorhead6T5

Oct 21, 2004
Marysville,CA
Anybody else discuraged about the little amount of aftermarket mods for the 05's? I'm not talking about suspension stuff that seems to be rolling pretty smooth with lots of upgrades. I'm talking about the HP making, engine bolt ons.I just ordered U/D pulleys and LCA's and I realized there isn't anything else to buy :nonono: I don't want a CAI because I strongly feel there is no gain over stock,I even ran at the track with a car with a CAI + diablo tune installed and our TRaps were exactly the same as me with just my K&N and SCT tune. So I'm not interested at the moment in a CAI. And there is nothing left to buy :shrug: I guess I will buy headers and then I'm done till some more stuff comes out :damnit:

• Sponsors (?)

Actually, some CAI and tunes are being dynoed around 27 rwhp, so there is a dyno proven power gain there. Though I haven't heard of any big hp gains from the K&N. Maybe something wrong with the other guys car, or a bad launch, or a bad driver, or something. But I would loook into a C&L and tune for around a 27 hp gain or the JLT intake and tune gets anywhere from 25-35 hp (depending on dyno, atmospheric conditions, other mods, etc). Axle backs, give little to no change in hp, but you could get a few ponies with an off/road X pipe with deleting the cats.

I just don't see the restriction in the stock intake path :shrug: Until I see a diff on the track I don't care what brand A can get from minipulating all kinds of variables on there personal dyno. Dynos aren't the track,and thats where it matters. Anyways, I've decided that a CAI will be one of my last mods,and it will be for looks most likly not power. I'm just disapointed that there arent TB's and cams and stuff that really make power out yet.Don't really want a Xpipe because I have the SLP exhaust and it would be too loud,I don't see a gain coming from a catted X either. All I figure that is left that will make any power is headers :shrug:

CAI aside (a rather grey area).

What do you mean, there are loads of things. What do you want and how much you willing to spend.

I'll list all I can think of interms of mods (not just HP but performance mods)

-filter/CAI
-Exhaust system, full, X or H pipe
-Exhast Manifolds
-Pulley's (?)
-Custom tune (remove factory defaults rev limiter and such)
-CC plates
-Gears (4.10?)
-Shifter (Manual box)
-Stall (auto)
-The cylinder heads are good alreay so why bother with aftermarket?? But you could have them ported and polished
-Cam shaft (there must be some out there)
-Removal of a/c
-NOS kits
-Turbo (will have to do a lot of R&D, but theren't many kits for the 2v 4.6 either)
-Supercharger (several kits already available, plus many more on the way)
-engine swap for DOHC, 5.0 or 5.4

If you look around there are as many performance mods (under the bonnet anyhow) as there are for the previous 2v SOHC 4.6

One mod that 300bhp mentioned; supercharger! If your budget permits, this might be the only hp mod you need. There are currently a few on the market; Vortec, Saleen and I think Procharger. Others that will be released is the next couple of months are Kenny Bell, Whipple and others. These will increase hp to mid 400hp to low 500hp. I would say that is a pretty substantial mod that can be proven at the track if you have the right suspension setup and grip.

-filter/CAI -Check
-Exhaust system, full, X or H pipe-Zero gain mod
-Exhast Manifolds-Do you mean headers? Getting those shortly
-Pulley's (?)-Coming in the mail
-Custom tune (remove factory defaults rev limiter and such)-Check
-CC plates-???
-Gears (4.10?)-Not sure if Im gonna get a SC or not so I'm holding off on those for now
-Shifter (Manual box)-Doesn't seam necisary,good stock,waiting for tranny mounted one anyways if i do
-Stall (auto)-N/A
-The cylinder heads are good alreay so why bother with aftermarket?? But you could have them ported and polished-Agreed these should support good numbers stock
-Cam shaft (there must be some out there)-Haven't found any
-Removal of a/c-Black car in hot summer area,i will keep it thanks lol
-NOS kits-Seems scary this early in life of car
-Turbo (will have to do a lot of R&D, but theren't many kits for the 2v 4.6 either)-Big $$$ I don't have
-Supercharger (several kits already available, plus many more on the way)-I will wait it out on one of these,let the price drop and let the geunie pigs have at it!
-engine swap for DOHC, 5.0 or 5.4-Alot of $$$

Blk05Retro said:
One mod that 300bhp mentioned; supercharger! If your budget permits, this might be the only hp mod you need. There are currently a few on the market; Vortec, Saleen and I think Procharger. Others that will be released is the next couple of months are Kenny Bell, Whipple and others. These will increase hp to mid 400hp to low 500hp. I would say that is a pretty substantial mod that can be proven at the track if you have the right suspension setup and grip.
Yeah I'm scared to take that leap right now,but I really want the Procharger kit but I'm hearing bad things about those already,vortec is good but i don't want to tap the oil pan for warranty reasons,and I want a intercooler. The after coolers are ok but my buddies always leaked.

Motorhead6T5 said:
Yeah I'm scared to take that leap right now,but I really want the Procharger kit but I'm hearing bad things about those already,vortec is good but i don't want to tap the oil pan for warranty reasons,and I want a intercooler. The after coolers are ok but my buddies always leaked.
a full exhaust should yeild some extra power, esp if your going with the manifolds too.

But to be honest what else could you do to any engine really.

In the old days (60's) and the dark days (70's) cars where not all that efficent in bhp terms straight from the factory, so it left lots of after market mods to do that all gained bhp. Nowadays however the stock setups are usually pretty good.

350bhp is probably a good and realistic target for a n/a 3v 4.6, but your starting with 300bhp. So it means its only the more expensive mods that will yield the big power gains. If you do all of the bolt ons and a cam you should be heading towards the 400bhp mark. But stock the air intake and intake manifold are pretty good as is the exhaust and manifold setup, it really only leaves the tune, which in stock trim is about right for most people most of the time anyhow. A set of high lift cams will be the only BIG n/a power adder.

In the 60's the Ford 302 only made 250bhp and that was Gross, so in reality it was probably nearer 190-200bhp in todays terms, so it was a lot easier to free up ponies.

You do have an easier job than owners of cars like the RX8 or 350z, these are pretty much maxed out as a n/a road going machine straight from the factory.

Cry me a river, Im shocked at how quickly stuff is coming out for the 05's. There has never been such a craze for developing parts so soon. Prior to the 87-93 5.0s there was hardly any aftermarket. I think theyve come a long long way.

OK, everyone seems to have missed this:
High Flow Extreme Duty Electric Street Water Pump System
Solid 11.2 Rear Wheel HP

rpm990254.jpg

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/05gtfan.htm

Dave...

Attachments

• rpm990254.jpg
    rpm990254.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 52
water pump, damn forgat that!!!!!! Nice one.

Aftermarket tuning is bigger than its ever been hence not just all the available parts but also lots of choice between manfucturers producing similar after market bits.

Yes there probably are after market heads, but my guess is the stockers probably arn't all that bad. To make any real gains you'll no doubt need lots of other mods to see the gains from them which would equal lots of £££££ or $$$$$.

Keep on modding!

300bhp/ton said:
water pump, damn forgat that!!!!!! Nice one.

Aftermarket tuning is bigger than its ever been hence not just all the available parts but also lots of choice between manfucturers producing similar after market bits.

Yes there probably are after market heads, but my guess is the stockers probably arn't all that bad. To make any real gains you'll no doubt need lots of other mods to see the gains from them which would equal lots of £££££ or $$$$$.

Keep on modding!

I have not seen a lot of replacement heads for the outgoing 2v or 4v. So I would bet there are fewer if any for the 3v. I think the big hurdle is going to be the electronic valve controls and throttle body.

I think that the aftermarket hasn't jumped on board with the 2v, 3v or 4v heads is that they would be so expensive. The factory heads might have been designed optimally and with a good port and polish might not need to be replaced.

There is quite a following for the LS in performance circles. Many clubs and people making their own things for the LS.

Until the 05 Mustang came out, no one had the codes to crack the PCM so we just finally got the Chip.

There are now break kits (big brake kit cost over $6000 though) and a supercharger under developement. Some folks are trying to make their own Limited slip Diffs. The CAI sells pretty well actually. 9 out of every 10 members of LVC has one.

You all just make me laugh though. Where as people who have no aftermarket at all don't whine about it, they do something about it, you all can't seem to stop crying about a car that has not been out for an entire year that will eventually have an aftermarket flooded with parts.

I guess what I am getting at is simple.

The aftermarket is coming for your car. Before you know it, you will have 20 different choices in throttle bodies, heads and cams. Everybody and their brother will be selling some form of forced induction. My grandmother is currently developing performance muffler bearings specific to the 05 as I write this :rolleyes:

Your complaints are irrelevant. It is like waking up at 4:00 in the morning and complaining that it is dark out while damn well knowing that the sun will be coming up in a couple of hours..... POINTLESS