Not quite sure if my clutch is done but...

32ValveRom

Feb 15, 2009
Fl
Hey guys, I have a 99 Cobra with a Spec stage-3 clutch that I've had for a few years.

Here are the symtoms:

When driving from a stoplight or pulling out of a parking lot I hear this high-pitched "eerrr". Kinda sounds like tires screeching when the brakes lock up. Usually last for less than a second until I'm completely off the clutch pedal. The clutch never slips unless I try to back up into an inclined driveway for awhile.

• Sponsors (?)

Throwout bearing. All too common issue for our little Mustangs. :nice: Get yourself a Ford OEM replacement one, as in my experience I've never had any differences between those and ones from Centerforce, RAM, or other brands. If you plan to do the install yourself, it isn't hard, just give yourself a day to do it. If you take it to a shop, it should cost you around $200 (that's how much it was for mine when I had a shop do it last time).

It will cost more than $200. It takes more than that in just labor hours to remove and reinstall the trans which IS hard to do yourself in your garage on jackstands. Then there will be parts to buy.

Sounds like the pilot bearing to me.

I think the cost will be between $350 and $1000 depending on what they find in there.

Probably the release ("throwout") bearing on its way out.

:nice: Yup, one of the bearings.

My TOB blew up last year - the factory friction disc was still going strong at ~115K miles though - started with slightly annoying squeaking and squealing and it stayed at that level for quite a while but eventually moved on to a ominous scraping noise and quickly went straight to self-destruction. The time from, "hmm, sounds like that squeak is getting a lot worse" to "crap, that didn't sound good" wasn't long at all.

A complete clutch job with parts & labor was $550 here. I think the clutch kit was around $200 so that'd be about $350 for labor.

It will cost more than $200. It takes more than that in just labor hours to remove and reinstall the trans which IS hard to do yourself in your garage on jackstands. Then there will be parts to buy.

Sounds like the pilot bearing to me.

I think the cost will be between $350 and $1000 depending on what they find in there.
I guess it may be more in your area... But I just had my throwout bearing replaced by a local Mustang specialty shop. I was charged $200 in labor, and $40 for the part, and a 12 pack for my mechanic. total cost was close to $250 for everything, out the door. Pilot bearing is a possibility too. All I know is, is all the shops around here charge $200 for R&R of a T5/T45 tranny - cost goes up if you have long tubes.

That's what it sounds like from what your describing but do make sure that the noise is related to the clutch and isn't just the serpentine belt squealing.

No, it's not so much of a squeal. Just more of an "eeerrrr" when I'm slowly engaging the clutch from a stop. If I turn off the stereo and all the sound will seem like it's coming from right underneath the shifter. Can be clearly heard from outside I'm sure.:(