not running right(popping from exhaust)

chaos254

Founding Member
Jul 27, 2002
NJ
Finally got my car started back up after its been sitting for like 6 months. It started up great but there is a pretty loud popping coming from the exhaust. I'm trying to get my car smogged out here in CA so I had to put all the emissions stuff back on. I put a new egr valve back on, smog pump(used), magnaflow catted x-pipe(used), and new BBK headers. The check engine light isn't on. I tried to take it for a drive but it was pretty loud with all the popping, which i'm assuming is a backfire right? Also on my short drive it didn't seem like it had very much power. Any help would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

double check your plug wires.

had the same problem when i installed my headers.
i got dark on me and i mixed up #5 and #6 plug wires :doh:
had no power and exhaust backfire.
i switched the wires when i found them and all was good.

ok i must be retarded because I'm confused to which plug is #1. The haynes book I has shows #1 is off to the right and there is no plug that is straight up. here is a pic of my setup right now.

the top most plug in the picture is set as my #1. Should it be the one to the right? I don't know why this is confusing me lol.

Attachments

• Photo_01.jpg
    Photo_01.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 160
thanks everyone, it ended up being crossed wires. I really hate having the stock air box/smog stuff back on. There is no room at all.

Also have a vibration from the exhaust. I'll have to check on that this weekend.