not starting anymore

HazMat404

Founding Member
May 24, 2002
well ive had my car for 7 years and i always asked my pops 2 things. never use a brush to get the snow off my car and never wash my engine bay. well i just bought an 03 cobra and going to try and sell my 95gt and he tries to be nice and clean out my car while im at work.........well he broke my 2nd request. the car ran PERFECTLY fine before this and started up everytime within 2 seconds like it should.

his story is he covered up the alt and sprayed down the engine. now i have a homemade cai which im sure got soaked. everything else is pretty much covered up but that is why i asked him to never wash it. he said he waited about an hour after drying it off to pull it outta the garage and it started up fine, pulled it back about 20' and shut her down. no probs at all. well 2 hours after cleaning the inside of the car i come home from work and need to move it.....it doesnt start.

well im getting pressure from my f/p gauge. the battery is full charged. it looks as tho im getting spark (tested with a spare sparkplug wire that i ripped one end off to watch). it sounds like it is turning over and almost wants to start but then chugs and the process starts over. i try not to flood it but for the hell of it, i cant get it started. ive ran out of ideas so with my scenario of the water and such, what do you think could be the problem. thanx a ton

• Sponsors (?)

Pull the distributor cap off, wipe it out & spray the inside of the cap and the outside wires with WD40. Moisture will condense inside the distributor cap when you wash an engine.

same thing happened to me once when I washed my engine bay but I covered everything...distributor, battery, alt, airbox, power distribution and the car started after I washed it and let it run for 15 minutes to dry up some things and then I went to restart it a couple hours later and it wouldn't start. Let it dry out for a day and you should be ok.

JRichker's thought was what came to my mind as well. There's more than just ignition spark generated in the dizzy and absolute firing doesnt equate to proper, synchronized firing.

You can floor the gas pedal while (AND ONLY WHILE) cranking to kill the injector pulse (regarding your flooeding concerns).

If your CAI filter element is exposed in the engine bay (kinda like what Vibe runs), then I like your thought of atleast checking things over inside the element.

Good luck. And your Terminator = :drool:

BadAndy said:
take the dis cap off and use a blow dryer to dry it out on the inside and around the wires
Will I have frizzy, curly wires when I am done?,:rlaugh:

Seriously, that is a very good idea.