SN95 Not Sure About 94 Cobra

• Sponsors (?)

That's just beyond my limited skill set. There's no way I could do it and have it turn out nice.
I'll be honest it's beyond mine to make it perfect but I've got a good buddy that can keep it looking good and I'll learn some tricks along the way for next time
I guess that's debatable. A nasty 408w even n/a is quite formidable. We're talking 600 hp with no boost woes. Not to mention you don't have to worry with the limitations of a 302 block. It's looking more attractive to me all the time, I tell ya.
well so far I'm leaning toward collecting parts for the 351 and run the guts outta the 5.0 and when it pops then I'll start the transplant

Reactions: 1 user
But N/A doesn't feel like boost.

Can't argue that, but boost doesn't feel like pavement ripping torque off idle like you get from cubes, either. Honestly I've done both. I like both. I'm just getting to the point where I'd rather drive it than fix it. I'm not far from having the fox back together.. I'll probably change my tune as soon as I get to drive it again. Until it breaks again. :mad:

Can't argue that, but boost doesn't feel like pavement ripping torque off idle like you get from cubes, either. Honestly I've done both. I like both. I'm just getting to the point where I'd rather drive it than fix it. I'm not far from having the fox back together.. I'll probably change my tune as soon as I get to drive it again. Until it breaks again. :mad:
Seriously......where is the mitigating factor that labels a turbocharged build as "unreliable"?

What is it that people are doing to make it that way? Too much boost? (That's easily fixable)

Seriously......where is the mitigating factor that labels a turbocharged build as "unreliable"?

Well Mike, that's a darned good question. I haven't exactly been one of the guys running around here slapping that label on turbo cars. In fact, I've defended them, to a point- not that I have any evidence to back up my claims that I can show.. Obviously, Ford motor company knows how to do it. But I ain't them. So does that make me the issue? Maybe so.

I'll be honest it's beyond mine to make it perfect but I've got a good buddy that can keep it looking good and I'll learn some tricks along the way for next time

well so far I'm leaning toward collecting parts for the 351 and run the guts outta the 5.0 and when it pops then I'll start the transplant
I've been working as a body shop painter for what seems like forever. Decades....jeez.:nonono:

Anywho, what I'm trying to say, I can probably help talk you through anything on the quarter/rocker repair. Go slow and be meticulous, you can do it. Plus there is great satisfaction in doing the repair yourself. I assume you have all the tools you'll need.

Honestly, as opposed to my previous smartas s response. Go with the 351, bunches of potential there.

I have a similar situation with my pipsqueak V6 that I have in my blue car. It'll stay there until I have my whole new drivetrain bought and ready to be installed. Then I think I'll do something absolutely stupid with it that I can post on YouTube.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been working as a body shop painter for what seems like forever. Decades....jeez.:nonono:

Anywho, what I'm trying to say, I can probably help talk you through anything on the quarter/rocker repair. Go slow and be meticulous, you can do it. Plus there is great satisfaction in doing the repair yourself. I assume you have all the tools you'll need.

Honestly, as opposed to my previous smartas s response. Go with the 351, bunches of potential there.

I have a similar situation with my pipsqueak V6 that I have in my blue car. It'll stay there until I have my whole new drivetrain bought and ready to be installed. Then I think I'll do something absolutely stupid with it that I can post on YouTube.
Cool I appreciate it!

Wel it was a little of both, I always liked the how exclusive my lightning was but it was modded. So I like having another SVT but main goal is fast and fun and whatever that takes. I got the car right I think, $1500 was a steal I believe!

Modding an early 2000's lightning is a little different. Modulars almost always stay true to what they were originally. Basically they get built up internally and then stuffed with boost. In most cases swap the SC back to the eaton and nobody would know or care.
Putting a 351 in a 302 cobra pretty much replaces everything that made it a cobra.

Me personally i don't think you need to ruin a cobra to make it fast and fun.
Keeping it as is, changing the cam and adding an S trim (which will cost penny's compared to a full 351 build) should get you 400rwhp.
It should be pretty quick, enjoyable and reliable.
Not to mention you won't be into the whole car 15 grand while it's valued at $5,000.

I think the hunt for big numbers is over rated unless you are going to live at the drag strip.
A few years ago i wouldn't have said that.
My car is set up for a simple blower swap to get it to 600rwhp or more. While i day dream about it, i really can't find a good reason to do it, other than vanity.

Reactions: 1 users
Modding an early 2000's lightning is a little different. Modulars almost always stay true to what they were originally. Basically they get built up internally and then stuffed with boost. In most cases swap the SC back to the eaton and nobody would know or care.
Putting a 351 in a 302 cobra pretty much replaces everything that made it a cobra.

Me personally i don't think you need to ruin a cobra to make it fast and fun.
Keeping it as is, changing the cam and adding an S trim (which will cost penny's compared to a full 351 build) should get you 400rwhp.
It should be pretty quick, enjoyable and reliable.
Not to mention you won't be into the whole car 15 grand while it's valued at $5,000.

I think the hunt for big numbers is over rated unless you are going to live at the drag strip.
A few years ago i wouldn't have said that.
I really liked the supercharger whine on the lightning, but I'm really wanting to go small turbo, and I think the 5.0 with the right supporting mods would be fun that way. I don't wanna live at the drag strip but it's high on my list. You make a valid point, cash spent the right way would make this car fun, so I'm not sure, let's see how the winter goes and the bodywork. I really appreciate all the input, I knew getting back into a mustang I'd get all the help and info from you fellers that I'd ever need!