Not the same old 3G question.....

wht87gt

Mar 16, 2003
Oxford, MA
How do you guys that buy your 3G from the junkyard clean them up? Every 3G that I've seen in the junkyard looks like crap. I tried to take my old 2G apart to see what might be involved and some springs came flying out and now I can't get it back together, so needless to say I don't want to buy a 3G and screw it up by taking it apart. I'd like to paint it or even just clean it up and clear coat it. Any ideas how I can clean it up without taking it apart?

• Sponsors (?)

But how would I paint and or clear coat it after cleaning the outside of it without getting the paint/clear coat inside the alternator? That's what I was talking about when I said that I didn't want to take it apart. Theres no way I can tape off all the little holes in the case to avoid getting paint inside the alternator.

True ... but I wouldn't see much point in clearcoating it, personally. Painting, maybe.

Perhaps one of the guys with the super bling-blingy engine bays that have EVERYTHING polished/chromed can chime in with the how-to on that (Mansonozz?). I'm pretty sure there's a way to do it without disassembling the alt completely, or if it is necessary, there's a way of doing it without the thing flying apart like a Swiss watch.

Might get more responses by moving this to Tech, too...? :shrug:

Funny chance I check in here and see I'm mentioned! Thanks for the thought ;)

I would *not* sand or polish it fully assembled, you could muddy up the inside and mess it up. You'd have to disassemble if it you wanted it powdercoated, bead-blasted, polished/chromed, and painted too. Well, you could paint it as assembled but you'd have overspray on all the internals which can't be good and definitely won't look good.

For cleaning up oxidation and the usual crud that you find on them, the cleanest thing I can think of is either going to be a scouring pad (depends if it'll be abrasive enough) or a nylon brush wheel on a drill. Like this thing:

nbb350.jpg

I do lots of general cleanup with those, they work quickly, nicely, clean up junk and dirt and so on. You can get a nice brushed aluminum look with one of these too. I believe the red ones are 120 grit and the blues are 150 or 180. It doesn't eat up aluminum and sand it down enough to really make a mess, so leaving the alternator assembled shouldn't pose a problem. I've cleaned some up in that manner and they came out very nice. There could be other ways to do it too, but I don't know them.

Good luck

edit: An admin or moderator will move it to tech if they feel it should be there.

Hey Mansonozz, thanks for the help. I live right in Worcester, is there anywhere local I can get those nylon wheels your talking about? Also, once I use those wheels on the alternator I imagine it will eventually go back to looking like crap, is there anything I can brush on that will keep it looking ok?

Nothing that I know of. The thing with these is they clean up the dirt and crap like that but they don't exactly strip the casting coating off the aluminum. Because of that as long as you keep your engine relatively tidy it shouldn't oxidize and turn to **** again. If you were to sand it down and not fully polish it, THEN you'd have that oxidation problem in no time.

YOu can get those at Sears, I think they're 8 bucks. Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. as well.

Ive taken apart a regular 2g alternator, just need normal hand tools and a paper clip to hold the brushes back when u put the regulator back in.....I just tried to take apart a 3g I got off a taurus and cant get the cases apart, I got the 3 bolts and the regulator off but it wont come apart, anybody know how to take these apart, its got a bad flat spot in it when u turn it every revolution, thanks, Sean

Hey FSTRDNU, what parts store are you going to where you can get a new 3G for a 100 bucks? Everywhere I've looked their at least $130, plus a $30 core charge. Keep in mind I don't have a core to give back. If I could get one for $100 with no core charge I'd consider going that route.