Notching Bilsteins for Coilovers

brtnstrns

Dec 19, 2003
Lewisville, TX
I was wondering, for future reference, what does it take to notch Bilstein shocks and struts in order to fit the Maximum Motorsports coil-overs? I haven't been able to find any info on how to do it and all I know is that its required for the coil overs (per MM's website). Anyone dealt with this before?

• Sponsors (?)

The struts....you dont have to notch them. As for the rears....that is a different story. There has to be a ring cut into the housing. It has to be pretty percise too. If you cut too much, you compromise the shock, too little, and the lock ring doesnt seat properly and can cause the coil-over to fail. If you really wanted to do the rear, just take your shocks off, send them to MM, pay the money and have them done right.

The struts....you dont have to notch them. As for the rears....that is a different story. There has to be a ring cut into the housing. It has to be pretty percise too. If you cut too much, you compromise the shock, too little, and the lock ring doesnt seat properly and can cause the coil-over to fail. If you really wanted to do the rear, just take your shocks off, send them to MM, pay the money and have them done right.

This.

One exception however is that I believe if you bought your rear shocks from MM they will cut the snap ring groove for free all you have to pay is shipping.