Noticed something about tire fit

GRGT1994

Sep 22, 2004
I recently got a new set of tires for my DD, and noticed something interesting. I went from Michelin to Kumho, and the tire size was 235/45/17 originally with 225/45/17 on the new ones. So the new tires are 10 mm more narrow. But mounted on the wheels, the Kumhos look like they are about 10 mm wider. The Michelins looked under sized (stretched) to me. But these new ones look right. Anyone else notice this?

BTW, the story on the switch is a bit long. Here's the brief. The previous owner had put on Pilot Sport A/S tires, which are like their top of the line for this car, and they are CRAZY expensive. I had a blowout, so I bought one matching tire. But the car is AWD, and I picked up a vibration with the tread mismatch. So I either could have gone with one more new tire (two new tires in all) to have matching tread on each axel, or I could go the way I did, and get 4 new Kumhos. And the cost was about the same either way ($100 more for the 4 Kumhos - I told you those Michilins were crazy expensive). Well, I have been so happy with the Kumhos on my Mustang (Ecsta Supra 712), that I gave em a chance on the DD too (but these are the ASR model - all season).

I couldn't be happier so far, hopefully we will get some real snow soon, so I can test out their worthiness. And Discount Tire was great. They give full credit on tires within a month or two, so I got all my money out of the one Michilin. And if I don't like these, then after a few more weeks, I could trade them in for something different.

• Sponsors (?)

The variance is a result of a few things that aren't necessarily 'standard' throughout the industry. That 1st number on the tire isn't the tread width. It's the section width, the distance from sidewall bulge to sidewall bulge when said tire is mounted on a 'standard' wheel. Not everyone uses the same standard wheel. That's why actual 'footprints' can vary by up to an inch between manufacturers for the same size tire.

Gotta say, I'm a big fan of Discount Tire Co. Great service, great prices, and very careful with my car.

tire size is diff. from brand to brand.

I was looking at how much my rear 315's cost a piece...over 350$ea so my arse end is riding on over 700$ in tires alone:jaw: . I am going to put a nitto DR or BFG DR with 315 or larger depending on what brand as the nittos run smaller when my rears wear down all for about the same price as 1 of my rear tires.