Now what?

Taranis

Nov 12, 2004
Austin, Texas
OK. I have a crossroads right now and am unsure how to proceed. I think that each route has its pros and cons, but I want to hear what y'all have to say.

I have a '69 Mustang Mach 1. It's a shell, really. Other than the body, all that's on it is the front and rear suspension (sans brakes). The undercarriage and the engine bay are all clean and painted. Right now, I'm cleaning and sealing the interior of the car and plan a manual rack in the near future. For my next step, I could:
a. get the front and rear baer track brake kits (which require 17" rims and new tires)
b. start on the engine buildup.
c. start repairing and replacing some of the body parts (hood, trunk lid, etc..)

i'm thinking this is the order that I want to go in for the rest of the build: Brakes, electrical, engine and tranny, body work, interior, paint and trim.

I have real limited experience in this as this is my first resto. Thanks in advance for any replys.

• Sponsors (?)

I do body work first- as that is what makes the biggest mess-
(it gets everything dirty- it sucks putting in a new shiny parts, just to do body work and get it all dusty-yeah you could cover things, but for some reason the dust always makes its way through)

BTW I hate body work

Then I paint engine bay-

Then I do mechanical work

Then I paint body-

Then I do interior last-

chassis and suspension

engine and drive train

electrical

body work and primer

interior

paint.

the last two can be done in either order depending on which you would rather not have happen, have the interior guys scratch the new paint, or possibly get a little overspray on your new seats and carpet.