Nut off the top of the struts??? How to remove?

• Sponsors (?)

You mean this right...
nut02.jpg

If yes, I needed an impact gun to take off and put on the new ones.

I have had luck in the past by doing this. Get a decent size pair of vice grips and put it as far up the strut rod as possible, right below the CC plate. Clamp it down as tight as you can and then use a 1/2 drive with a breaker bar if you have to.

Otherwise take it to a mechanic and let them pop it off with an impact gun.

I think you may be able to get more adjustment from the
top part of the strut if you remove the rivets. So I don't
think you got screwed, they just wanted to align it within
specs. I could be wrong though.

Ghostface said:
When i went to get my car aligned, they charged an extra 25 bucks to have the "rivets removed". I'm guessing this is what your having a problem with.
I finally realized what you're talking about. Those rivets are on the CC plates, I don't think that's what he's talking about.

if you don't have access to an impact gun, you can stick a screwdriver or something of the sort in the slot on top of the threaded part of the strut and use that to keep it from turning and then use a box wrench to loosen the nut...worked for me, but it was a little frustrating

Screwdriver didn't work for me. I had 1 friend hold and I tried to turn it. My torque caused them to lose hold of the screwdriver. It took too much torque for use to do by hand. My struts were also 4.5 years old though...