o/r X Pipe Poll-VRS vs UPR vs Dr. Gas

DerekStangGT

My package is in the mail!
Feb 18, 2003
i need an x pipe. simple as that. however, i need to know which would be the best for me. im looking for mainly power, then sound (prefered, but i can do w/o it if i get the SOTP power i want) i have a budget of about $200. i can spend NO MORE THAN $275 FOR PARTS AND INSTALL. (i dont have lifts to get under) i will install this onto stock exhaust manifolds and stock exhaust pipes. so please help me out. if you have dyno proof of power gains, great! but mainly just give me your thoughts of your x. thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

Well, it should be easy to stay under your budget. Get UPR's offroad X and install it yourself. You don't need a lift, I did mine with a floor jack and that was it, I didn't even use jackstands. The UPR pipe is only $140 and it'll do the same job as any other pipe. My mac was pretty cheap as well, and I am perfectly happy with it. A lot of these guys around here will scream magnaflow and bassani, and those are great parts IF you have the money, but we aren't all made of it, so I'd get the UPR and save that cash for another mod.

nickthegenius said:
I got the UPR pipe off of eBay for $150-155 including shipping to my door.
Every one seems to bad mouth the bbk o/r x pipe. I put my pipe on this morning and it was a perfect fit with the new header studs on drivers side.
This thing pulls so hard in 4th on the freeway. It realy revs a lot better than stock in all gears, and thats with the stock manifolds and cat back. I will admit to the rattle at 2100 rpm, you just have to get used to it. I love it!!

brednova said:
Every one seems to bad mouth the bbk o/r x pipe. I put my pipe on this morning and it was a perfect fit with the new header studs on drivers side.
This thing pulls so hard in 4th on the freeway. It realy revs a lot better than stock in all gears, and thats with the stock manifolds and cat back. I will admit to the rattle at 2100 rpm, you just have to get used to it. I love it!!

I agree with you about the revving. The UPR X-pipe makes my cobra revv noticeably freer in all gears. Performance was slightly increased, i'd say around 10rwhp. Sound is awesome, except for the rasp I get when I apply 70%+ throttle...hopefully it can be fixed somewhat.

[QUOTE='96&'01Stang]I would save up a little more money and get the Dr. Gas[/QUOTE]

do you have a reason for your opinion? :shrug: does the Dr. Gas produce more power, or is it just what you have and like it? :nice:

[QUOTE='96&'01Stang]I would save up a little more money and get the Dr. Gas[/QUOTE]

Save up a little? Dr. Gas's are twice as much as UPR's. I payed $139 for my UPR, and payed nothing for install since I bolted it on myself. Dr. Gas requires welding, something I couldn't do. So it would probably cost me 3 times as much for a couple freaking HP.

Craig Mack said:
Save up a little? Dr. Gas's are twice as much as UPR's. I payed $139 for my UPR, and payed nothing for install since I bolted it on myself. Dr. Gas requires welding, something I couldn't do. So it would probably cost me 3 times as much for a couple freaking HP.

thanks for your point of view Craig, never thought about that. i think the UPR wouls be my best bet if the DR. Gas HAS to be welded on

the dr.gas doesn't actually have to be welded on, just welded together, but it can also be clamped together and bolted up(I would do that then take it to the muffler shop or somewhere to have the joints welded). but if you want to stay under 275, you should go with the upr since it's cheap. You could also buy the x junction from dr.gas then have it welded up custom, all that should be in the area of 275. But, to keep it simple and cheap, I guess the upr/vrs is what you want to get.

id get the spintech instead of the Dr.Gas- i'm almost positive its the same exhasut thing but spintech makes it out of SS.

but neither 1 of these are in your price range.

:OT: my friend bought a used X pipe and catback...do you think there is any problem with that?