O2 sensor & A/F Gauge

94Blue302GT

Oct 20, 2003
Chicago
Well, you all know the problem... our wonderfull computer and O2 sensors like a really wierd signal that doesn't work with our A/F gauges. Well, do you think it would work to use a ONE WIRE O2 sensor and mount it somewhere on your exhaust? I'm saying in ADDITION to the other two, not to replace the other two. Then i could use this one wire sensor to go to the gauge and it should work, right? A lot cheaper than a wide band whatever! :nice:
If you think it would work, where do you think i should punch the hole? I have a no cat Hpipe.

• Sponsors (?)

What kind did you buy? I just have a regular gauge with one wire that goes to the O2 sensor. it gives the whole light show effect. I figure if i put in this extra sensor it should work right. I'm pretty sure it's not the sensor, and it's not the gauge, but i will check. I know plenty of people have had the same problem.

94Blue302GT said:
What kind did you buy? I just have a regular gauge with one wire that goes to the O2 sensor. it gives the whole light show effect. I figure if i put in this extra sensor it should work right. I'm pretty sure it's not the sensor, and it's not the gauge, but i will check. I know plenty of people have had the same problem.

I bought the Autometer one it had a power, ground, and ignition wires. Only 1 wire goes to the sensor as you said. It does the light show and thats how I know it is okay. That is just what they do. O2's are just "on/off switches". I think that if you use another sensor it'll do the same thing.

carburetor exports often use one wire oxygen sensors to tune the carb. they hook it up to a volt gauge and the oxygen creates electric in the sensor. the mixture is measured by the millavolts put out by the sensor. o2 sensers are not on offs. they are turned on and off by the computer, in a mutiple wire sensor, but still give off different voltage. you should be working good to put a one wire in at a seperate place as long as you just use it for the gauge only and do not hook it up to the other sensors or the computer and use it for you own reference only.

the light show is what is "supposed" to happen to the mustangs but it is not really how the gauge is designed and "supposed" to work so renders it difficult to read. a one wire sensor for the gauge should fix that.

Why do you think that Air fuel gauges are a waste of money? If you can get it to work right, can't you use that to help tune your car? you'll know if you're too rich and have to take down the fuel, and you'll know if you're starving your car. Plus, tuning it to the correct couple of notches may give me the extra 5 horse to nudge out the next guy! What would you use, yellowcobra, in exchange for the gauge?

Black70Fastback said:
carburetor exports often use one wire oxygen sensors to tune the carb. they hook it up to a volt gauge and the oxygen creates electric in the sensor. the mixture is measured by the millavolts put out by the sensor. o2 sensers are not on offs. they are turned on and off by the computer, in a mutiple wire sensor, but still give off different voltage. you should be working good to put a one wire in at a seperate place as long as you just use it for the gauge only and do not hook it up to the other sensors or the computer and use it for you own reference only.

the light show is what is "supposed" to happen to the mustangs but it is not really how the gauge is designed and "supposed" to work so renders it difficult to read. a one wire sensor for the gauge should fix that.

Ahh..I see :doh: