o2 sensor problem...

green94droptop

Founding Member
Jul 8, 2001
Orlando, FL
Well I've been having idling issues lately and and ocassional CE light pop on then off so I decided to scan for codes. Got one code:

172: Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen (HEGO) sensor - voltage signal indicates "lean" (Bank #1).

First question: which side is Bank #1? Driver's side or passenger's side?

Second question: there's all sorts of other problems that could happen to o2 sensors like rich or not switching. How does "lean" happen? I just replaced these like 10,000 miles ago. I don't mind buying another one but I just want to rule out other things that could cause a "lean" condition.

Could my BBK longtubes have anything to do with it? They are ceramic coated and I've adjusted the Exhaust Pulse Delay settings like many of you have either done or recommended.

Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Just turn up the regulator a few psi. Clear the codes and you should be set. I'm remember a post from this week that put in new O2's but still had the lean code. Usually LT's will make the car run rich.

Hey Joe, I haven't been on here in like a month; I took a 12 day trip to Israel over the Christmas, so obviously Mustangs weren't the first thing on my mind. What's new with everybody on here? I bet atleast 5 people on here got s-trims for Christmas, lol. I gave myself a broken tranny for Christmas, hahaha.

Anyhow, turning up the FP is out of the question. For one, I already tried that and two it makes my car run worse. The car won't idle because the A/F mixture is somewhere in the 13.0's-13.5:1's. That's just with 2 psi. My car is tuned perfectly at idle (but not w/ a bad o2 sensor). Everything was fine, then just all of a sudden a lean o2. A/F with FP at 39psi fluctuates between 14.0 and 15.0. It used to be dead on at 14.7:1.

But which is Bank #2?

I've been fighting this one on my daughters ZX2. Got the same code. Idle hunts and wants to die when below freezing. Once run 5 minutes it runs like a champ. Replaced the IAC, checked/set the TPS, Checked fuel pressure while driving (temped a guage on the cowl, checked the IAC sensor. I'm gonna pull the injectors and clean them next (byt he way - the ZX2s have 24# injectors - junk yard info). I have considered replacing the O2 sesnor but it didn't help you!!?