Obnoxiously loud squealing noise

skywalker

Dec 22, 2003
Pensacola, FL
Okay here goes:

I changed the C4 in my 66 to a T-5. I also did headers at the same time and have not got them connected to mufflers just yet. I fire up the engine and I get an incredibly loud, high pitched squealing noise. Engine itself is running smooth.

I've eliminated the alternator, ps pump and water pump. I removed the starter and neither it nor the flywheel has damaged teeth.

To give you an idea how loud this is, it drowns out the exhaust through straight headers!!!!

I have a pilot bearing, not a bushing, if that helps. Clutch and throwout bearing are all new.

I did fill the tranny with fluid.

Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

What kind of shape was your backing plate (also called block plate) in? If it is bent in the slightest, it can cause a rub with the flywheel. Ask me how I know :-( Either way, it sounds like your answer is inside that bellhousing so off it must come.
Posted via Mobile Device

Throwout Bearing?

Could be the throwout bearing / clutch adjustment. I the clutch is adjusted just so, the throwout bearing face could barely be making contact with the pressure plate fingers and make a chirping or squealing noise. Does the noise change / go away as you press on the clutch pedal?

Supposedly the late model throwout bearings are 100% duty cycle, meaning they are supposed to be in contact and rotating with the pressure plate at all times, even when the clutch is engaged. I didn't believe it myself at first, but I've seen it several places on the net, and Bruce at Modern Driveline confirmed it when I called him.

unfortunately all if you may be right. I haven't been home but to sleep since Sunday morning. As soon as I get an answer I'll update. Everyone. Keep this in mind though: very very loud and fairly high in pitch.