Octane Question

Khyron

Oct 20, 2006
Lincoln, NE
My SCT tuner has 89, 91, 93 octane tunes in it from Brenspeed. Where I live, 92 octane gas is the highest available.

Can I run the 93 octane tune with 92 octane gas? Or would very bad things happen?

Would adding something like Lucas Octane Booster to gain a couple extra octane be worth it? Or could that cause issues down the road as well?

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

The plugs on our cars do not like octane booster. DO asearch and you'll find pictures of reddish orange crap on the plugs. At the price these plugs cost it's not worth it.

The only fuel additive that is acceptable is the Chevron Techron concentrate fuel system cleaner.

That color is normal for too much octane booster or too much fuel additive. But like you said our cars are much more sensitive to additives and octane booster in the fuel. I have 30000 miles on my mustang, I changed the plugs about 1000 miles ago. I run about 3 ounces of Redline fuel system cleaner at every fillup. Also had a who bottle every 3000 miles on a full tank. My plugs did have a redish orangish color to them. But the tops of the pistons (from what I could see) look very clean, not much carbon build up at all. On the other hand the plugs were tough to get out. I had the turn them a quater turn at a time. I also shot some penetrate down there and keep turning them slowly. Never had a car do that and I work on cars for a living (BMW Tech). Also around 4 months ago when I was installing the FRPP delete plates, I noticed how clean the intake valves and the intake ports looked. I still continue to use fuel additives but I use the techron more so now than the redline additive.

yeah, but his issue is opposite of what you said.

you use 93 octane on a 91 tune. thats a safer tune.

running 92 octane on a 93 tune is different, but still i ran 87 octane on my 91 tune for a couple days and dint get any ping, then i filled up with 91.