Odd Question: LED Taillight fans?

walter

Founding Member
Aug 13, 1998
Houston TX
So I was looking at the LED taillights that American Muscle sells and just to see how they look up close I read the installation instructions.

Mustang LED Taillights (2005-2009) - Installation Instructions at AmericanMuscle.com

Now what is the use and purpose for those fans that the LED lights have? I was under the impression that LEDs do not emit nearly the same levels of heat that regular halogen/incandescent bulbs do, so what do those fans do? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Hey Walter, it looks like the fan is on the LED driver and that's what's getting hot. This is pretty common when you are asking a LED to be more than backlighting. There are ways around it in some set-ups but I guess they couldn't get the brightness they wanted without some higher drawing LEDs.

I guess they need some kind of resistor which would get hot to prevent the system from going into fast blink mode and that would probably get hot.

Well maybe they shoulda topped the blinker fluid off while the lights were out instead. Better then adding fans IMHO.

Yea darn that blinker fluid, I hate it when it goes low! LOL
So the thing with LEDs is you gotta remember they are just diodes. And if you know anything about electronics, you know the diode is usually the thing that blows when something goes wrong. They are also used to protect circuits from over-voltage (Zener.) So since they don't like a lot of power, they have to be regulated very closely. I would think though that you could use a lot of smaller diodes instead of those big ones to get the desired taillight brightness and therefore possibly save yourself from those huge drivers and blinker fluid.

I dunno I'm sure that unless they figure out a good solid LED stick replacement bulb with the right draw I'll probably stick with the tried and true (and often blown) incandescent light.

Yeah, LED turn signals need loading resistors to keep from flashing fast. The resistors usually get pretty warm when in use, but I don't like the idea of using a fan like that, especially since it would be on the outside of the light housing and in a place where it can get wet. A better option than using loading resistors is to change the flasher from an electro-mechanical type to a solid state flasher. I would think that if you installed a solid state flasher, you could ditch the resistor/fan garbage.

I would like to know if there is a way to use LED tail lights with the sequential light kits. I would think that it would work if a solid state flasher is installed, but I don't know for sure. I'll have to do some experimenting to see if it will work. I agree that the bulbs are a major PITA. Especially since you have to remove the light housings to change them, and I have had to change 3 turn signal bulbs, and the third brake light bulb twice since I've owned the car.

Halogen/Incandescents FTW!!!! ;)

I have to disagree on this one. Not only is bulb life an issue, but LEDs are much brighter and have much quicker response times. Also, Incandesents draw ALOT of current and produce alot of heat. My ex gf had a 96 mustang. One day when trying to leave work, she could not get the car to go out of park and into gear. She called me and when I went to look at it I found that the wires on the brake switch were completely burned off. This also activates the safety solenoid which keeps you from shifting an auto transmission out of park without the brake on. Further testing revealed that the brake lights were drawing over 10 amps If I removed the bulbs, the draw was less than 1/2 an amp (typical of just the solenoid). I replaced the switch and repaired the wiring, but the same thing happened again about a year later. This may not be a typical failure, but still , replacing the bulbs with LEDs has advantages.

That particular kit specifically states that you can't run it with taillight sequencers.

Still if you want the LED and Sequential setup there is a $250 option that Moss Mustang sells on their site.

Chasing
Moss Mustang Store - Parts and Accessories for your Ford Mustang

Sequential
Moss Mustang Store - Parts and Accessories for your Ford Mustang

Thanks for the links.....those are pretty pricey, but if you figure the price of a sequencial light kit plus the price of LED bulbs, its not too bad if it works. Plus not having to replace the bulbs so often would make it worth it to me.....

Yup incandescents get so hot. I have seen them melt the taillight housing. LEDs may not get that hot but the driver does. The fans are there to keep them working because they will quit real fast. Unfortunately technology for cool but bright light just isn't there. I have thought about making my own LED array to see what i could do. Sort of like the taillights on the Caddys. I love how they look when they come on and go off so quickly.
I may completely off my rocker on this, but isn't there something about LEDs where they give off particulate light instead of "analog" wave light? Like it gives off photons instead of waves....?

While I agree with all your facts my statement on Halogen/Incandescent was not to their technical prowess, but to the fact they look better on our cars. It's the art, not the science I prefer.

While I agree that some of the taillight solutions for LED may not be attractive like the stock look (the ones with the fans) the units that replace the light bulb alone is IMO the best compromise.