OEM cable stretched after 3-4 months?

88 Fox GT

Nov 18, 2002
Iowa
I replaced my clutch cable when I bought my car last spring. I replaced it with an OEM cable and it worked really well. Well, the other day I removed the rubber isolator thing on the shifter handle and modified it to bolt back up to the shifter. After I finished it up, I took it for a test drive to see if it was easier to find 3rd gear. I took it out and started in 1st and nailed it, went to slam 2nd gear and it wouldn't go in. Tried it again, same thing. Tried it 2 more times, same thing.

I have noticed that it seems like the clutch engages with the pedal closer to the floor now. Could my OEM cable have stretched this quickly?

I have a stock quadrant. Should I buy an aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster to fix the problem?

• Sponsors (?)

Stock quadrant,hmmm.

Have you tried adjusting it by pulling up on the clutch pedal?

If the above method doesn`t work and it`s still sloppy,try this...

If the teeth on the quad and pawl are still good,push up with your finger on the plastic hook on the quadrant that hangs down.

If you hear a click,it adjusted itself and took up the play.

Pulling up on the pedal doesn`t always work,this is why I mentioned pushing up on the plastic hook on the quadrant.

Kinda funny that it wont hit second after messing in the shifter area too. Did it hit 1st and 3rd easy? If so, make sure the lower stop didnt move on you.

I personally wouldnt hose with the stock quad/pawl except to get it to last a week till your new quad and FWA arrive, but that's just me. 89's info is right on - it's just that I think very little of that brittle plastic crap.

Good luck.

Stock quadrant are know for breaking. a aftermarket kit would do you some good.

I have had many five speed mustang all with different firewall adjuster kits and the Micro Click adjuster kit is the best by far. Kit include cable, Quadrant, and firewall adjuster. about 120$

Also if your going to bang gears, I would really suggest a pro 5.0 shifter. Not will exstend the life of your tranny like a aftermarket shifter will. i would take a Pro5.0 over B&M, hursts,and steeda anyday. about 180$

HISSIN50 said:
Kinda funny that it wont hit second after messing in the shifter area too. Did it hit 1st and 3rd easy? If so, make sure the lower stop didnt move on you.

I personally wouldnt hose with the stock quad/pawl except to get it to last a week till your new quad and FWA arrive, but that's just me. 89's info is right on - it's just that I think very little of that brittle plastic crap.

Good luck.
Well, the problem I'm having is WOT at high RPMs when trying to slam it into 2nd gear. It would just grind and didn't wanna go into 2nd. Shifting to 2nd with normal driving is fine.

All I did with the handle was remove that rubber thing that goes between it and the shifter itself. I then had to weld a plate onto one side and drill holes in it just big enough for the bolts to go through. If you've seen the stock handle without the rubber, you will see that it has huge gaping holes in it so that was the reason for the plate. What I did shouldn't have affected how the transmission shifts. I just got rid of the rubber thing because now 3rd gear is easier to hit since the handle is less sloppy.

71Swing picked-up on what I incorrectly assumed (that you had an aftermarket shifter with shift stops). I know exactly what you did - way back when, I did something similar to get rid of the rubber damper myself.

If it shifts fine at lower RPM but not at high, that feels more like a soft part issue for second gear(synchro, etc). I'd still want to know for sure that the clutch is totally disengaging before assuming something like that (along with noting that all other gears engage properly).

Good luck.