# of Cats on Fox Body H-Pipe

IHCScoutMan

Sep 8, 2005
Hey Guys, I wanted to know how many catalytic converters come on an OEM H-pipe on a '92 fox body. Or any fox body for that matter.

The reason for the inquiry is that I'm in an argument where i say that the h-pipe had only 2 cats where I am told that there were more, which I have never heard of.

thanks!
~Tom

:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

in your link, the second product says it replaces the front and back, left and right cats.
4 is correct. Most aftermarket cats are just one per bank, 3-way catalysts with smog tube hook ups.

I think that they started the 4 cats on the models from 1989 to the Present, but before 1989, I think it was 2 cats on the H-Pipe.

jstang209 said:
4 cats theres a set of "precats"

I was just wondering what you mean by "precats"? Are you referring to the two catalytic converters in the beginning of the pipe as the "precats" or are you referring to the two rear catalytic converters as the "precats"? or is there something besides the 4 cats known as "precats"? Sorry for all the questions, but just curious. Later, Jeff.

My SD 88 GT vert has 4 cats (or two pre-cats and one 3 way cat - I still have not definitively seen exactly what those little front turds do and I have seen it ref'd as 4 cats and two cat and two precats.). :D

ALMOST STOCK said:
This question has poped up before, so I decided to take a pic. when I replaced my OEM H-pipe.

As you can see there are 4 cats.
View attachment 504562

To clear it all up: The above picture is correct (with minor differences) for all '86-'2004 'stangs with a factory H-pipe. The pre cats are the 2 small ones right after the header flanges(1 on each side).

Pre '86's did come with 2 or 3 cats, but they were also equipped with either a single('79-'84) or a semi-dual(y pipe to dual mufflers and tails- '85 only) exhausts.

95GTAODE said:
To claer it all up: The above picture is correct (with minor differences) for all '86-'2004 'stangs with a factory H-pipe. The pre cats are the 2 small ones right after the header flange.
You didnt clear it all up for me. :)

What is the definition of a pre-cat? If going with the idea of a pre-cat and then a cat following (per side), are we to assume the second cat is a 3 way cat?
I have read of this, but also that one cat is a one-way and the second cat (per side) is a 2 way. Which is it?

StreetStang302 said:
I think that they started the 4 cats on the models from 1989 to the Present, but before 1989, I think it was 2 cats on the H-Pipe.

I was just wondering what you mean by "precats"? Are you referring to the two catalytic converters in the beginning of the pipe as the "precats" or are you referring to the two rear catalytic converters as the "precats"? or is there something besides the 4 cats known as "precats"? Sorry for all the questions, but just curious. Later, Jeff.

nope my 87 had 4 rusty cats

HISSIN50 said:
You didnt clear it all up for me. :)

What is the definition of a pre-cat? If going with the idea of a pre-cat and then a cat following (per side), are we to assume the second cat is a 3 way cat?
I have read of this, but also that one cat is a one-way and the second cat (per side) is a 2 way. Which is it?

Ah Hissin, you're killing me! :)

Don't take this as gospel, but I've read that the "pre" cats are one ways and that the second is a two way. The pre's are there because they heat up faster and reduce emissions while the car is cold. After market pipes use 2 3-way cats.