Off road H-pipe or X pipe, whats the difference?

Wallace88

May 12, 2003
Hi guys,

I have a magnaflow cat back on my 2004 GT, i want to put an offroad H-pipe on or an off road X pipe, how do i know which would the better choice for me? What is the difference? Thanks One other thing, i can only find X pipes up to 2002, does anyone make them for 2004? Thanks again :)

• Sponsors (?)

Wallace88 said:
Hi guys,

I have a magnaflow cat back on my 2004 GT, i want to put an offroad H-pipe on or an off road X pipe, how do i know which would the better choice for me? What is the difference? Thanks One other thing, i can only find X pipes up to 2002, does anyone make them for 2004? Thanks again :)

I'm very satisfied with my X, and in the Offroad version, you will smell unburnt fuel. Just don't crank up the car in a closed garage.

The other parts of your question have been accurately answered.

Matt

Venom4.6 said:
H pipes give good low end power.
X pipes give good high end power.
The Mac Prochamber is a cross between an X and an H. It gives good mid to upper rpm power. All have a unique sound. I've had all 3.

I have your setup and I couldn't be happier. It sounds just right. :nice:

Hi guys,

I think im going to go with an Xpipe off road. Just to make sure, an X-pipe stated to fit 99-2002 Mustang GT, will indeed fit my 2004? Also, does anyone know if i can get MIL Eliminators cheaper than $57.50? I dont know if this is for 2 of them of just one of them? Do they normally come in pairs? Thanks again everyone.

Wallace88 said:
Hi guys,

I think im going to go with an Xpipe off road. Just to make sure, an X-pipe stated to fit 99-2002 Mustang GT, will indeed fit my 2004? Also, does anyone know if i can get MIL Eliminators cheaper than $57.50? I dont know if this is for 2 of them of just one of them? Do they normally come in pairs? Thanks again everyone.
Yes get the 99-02 pipe.
For the splice in style mil elims go to http://www.ponyexpressperformance.com/mileliminators.html

Wallace88 said:
Hi guys,

I have an x pipe and 40 series delta flows and love it. It is raspy and loud though, kinda like a nascar. I think you should buy plug and play M I L's so that you do not have to splice any wires in your 04. Just my opinoin, but I would rather spend the $60 bucks for them rather than some home-made crap without some type of warranty.

Wallace88 said:
Hi guys,

I paid $60 bucks for a pair from Jegs, the brand is BBK. I feel you should not be cheep with your 04. If you do not have the money, than wait until you do. Always remember, you get what you pay for.

JOHNP said:
Why is an H pipe better with flowmasters than an x pipe?
99% of the people on here will tell you not to get an X-pipe with chambered mufflers (Flowmasters). They all say H-pipe with chambered mufflers and X-pipe with straight thru's (Magnaflows). It's all personal opinion.

Flows and O/R H-pipe will you give you a loud, hollow sound.

I heard a 03 Cobra with Flows and a O/R X-pipe and it was very loud with a raspy sound to it. But my buddy has a 03 Cobra with Flows and a catted X, and it sounds nice.

If you want the sound to be deep, go with an H-pipe. If you want more of a raspy sound, go with a X-pipe.

As for MIL's. Expect to pay around $60 for the plug in's. And about $30 for the kind you splice. I'd recommend just spending the extra $30 and getting the plug in's. Much easier and you obviously don't have to mess with your wiring.