Official "Electric Fans FTMFL" Thread

You'd be better off w/ a $100 controller and a $50 fan than vise versa (as you've found out and then some). I'd say (for others about to go through your situation), 3.8L v6 taurus fan from early 90's taurus (~$50, used, $400 new), DCC FK35 controller + light (~$130 shipped). I made straps for mine. They don't look the best and I probably could make them smaller, but they work and get the job done.

Do it right the first time, or you'll do it right the last time:D

• Sponsors (?)

I must remove the evil flex fan in my Capri and replace it with a stock clutch fan.....
I must remove the evil flex fan in my Capri and replace it with a stock clutch fan.....

:(

what you don't like that really annoying high pitched fan?? :D

No idea what you're doing wrong....don't mean to bust balls but it sounds like user error somewhere. The only problems i've ever had with an e-fan is one time i had to hard wire it into the fuze box and as luck would have it the fan actually burned out (not because of how it was wired, just a fluke) and it melted the wire into my fuze box. Luckily it didn't destroy anything and i have it fixed right now.

No idea what you're doing wrong....don't mean to bust balls but it sounds like user error somewhere. The only problems i've ever had with an e-fan is one time i had to hard wire it into the fuze box and as luck would have it the fan actually burned out (not because of how it was wired, just a fluke) and it melted the wire into my fuze box. Luckily it didn't destroy anything and i have it fixed right now.

No problem at all- that's what my friends say. But then they checked my wiring. It's perfect and wrapped up tight except for the ignition wire... So anyway I ripped the radiator out to get the fan out last night. I'll check the ignition wire. I have to get under the dash to cut it out. I bet it's fowled somewhere. :shrug:

Something has to be wrong....electrical work is a work or not work affair...if it's wired right and nothing is fried then it works. If you have it wired right and it's not working, then you have a broken wire, bad ground, or something that just isn't right.

Something has to be wrong....electrical work is a work or not work affair...if it's wired right and nothing is fried then it works. If you have it wired right and it's not working, then you have a broken wire, bad ground, or something that just isn't right.

Looks as if there are a couple of little melted or pierced spots on my ignition wire to the fan.

Oh well not a problem anymore, I put the stock fan back on last night with the new fan clutch :banana:

Only problem is I lost my radiator cap and I have to buy a new one on lunch :fuss:

I've actually seen guys pick up a 10th in the quarter just by switching to an efan. That's pretty considerable, but if you've got issues with it then i don't blame ya. I ran a flex fan for 3 years before i switched. I've shaved a half second off my first ET with this car, i'm sure the efan has some small part in that.

:nonono:

I cranked the stang with the new fan clutch and it surges and dies, surges and dies. So I check the wiring I took off- okay. Then I check the fuel cut off switch- okay. Then I get to thinking... The new fan clutch!

Yep, I took it back off and cranked it over. Runs fine. The problems never end. So I did what any man would do.

I drank the rest of my Gentleman Jack then had a beer baby :banana:

:nonono:

I cranked the stang with the new fan clutch and it surges and dies, surges and dies. So I check the wiring I took off- okay. Then I check the fuel cut off switch- okay. Then I get to thinking... The new fan clutch!

Yep, I took it back off and cranked it over. Runs fine. The problems never end. So I did what any man would do.

I drank the rest of my Gentleman Jack then had a beer baby :banana:

lol. you have terrible luck.

I run autozone Fans too, 1- 14" and 1- 10 or 12" i think they work great 100 degree weather it doesn't go past 180 sitting in traffic. Now i did have a problem with one of my autozone fans, i had to replace it actually. The thermostat i had to control the fans the wire to the metal temp probe somehow became loose and went into oen of the fans and cooked it.

I put a Black Magic Extreme in my car when the new motor went in. The fan cools the car fine, but the controller has failed three times in less than 200 miles! I've checked everything several times, and all is correct and by-the-book.

Ordered (and received) a DC Controls unit, and it will go on soon along with a new custom alum radiator. Should do the trick, knock on wood.