Official Hardtack Progress Thread.

I love old classic Mustangs, but every time they restore one on TV or magizines it looks good at first then they strip it down and there is always something deathly wrong with it.:eek:

I would love to have a 67-68, but I would have to know exactly what I'm looking at before buy it. It sounds like you have the means to do this project, just take care of that rust first and get some chassis reinforcement stuff.

I just found out my Mustang originally came from Florida.

• Sponsors (?)

Mike. goodluck with it! its a hella project to take on at 16! kudos for that bro!

my fox was pretty bad but this bar far is alot more work and cant wait to see the end result. gonna be killer just gonna take you some time!

btw first thing i would do is drop the gas tank and clean it out or replace it if you can afford it. thats gonna be some nasty gas since its been in there for 28 years!

lol yeah, thats for next week. I gotta drop the tank and give it a good clean. and dont worry guys, ill get some footage of it cranking. but it will be loud. lol. cant drive it yet tho. the brake booster has no top. so the lines are all air, and i need a new master cylinder. but no worries. its all a work in progress. Oh and heres a pic of the starter :nice:
looks like new.
View attachment 307590

I love old classic Mustangs, but every time they restore one on TV or magizines it looks good at first then they strip it down and there is always something deathly wrong with it.:eek:

What are you going to do when your Fox reaches this state? These cars are closing in on "classic" status. Ubderlying problems are inherent.

LiquidGT, this is in no way a dis on you or your car, as I have never seen it. I am just saying these things are getting oooollllldddd!!!!!!!!!!

Even though I posted in your other thread here are my suggestions, and these are all from personal experience with my 65. BTW I can't find a pick of it completely torn down but here is one of it on the trailer heading from one shop to another to get the body work finished and then paint.
65convertible.jpg

Get it running and driveable. Then you can really know what needs to be fixed mechanically. And it will probably be quite a bit to do. At a minimum all of the rubber and soft hoses will need to be replaced and probably all of the brake wheel cylinders and calipers, if it has discs, will need to be done.I wouldn't drive it without thoroughly going to through the brake system, not even a test drive. I know it is tempting to take it for a spin but try to resist.

To do all of the sheet metal work that probably needs to be done it would be best to gut the car. Save what you can and make a list as you go along of what you will need. I know that you said that you have a list of the big parts you need. That is the easy part. The little stuff WILL nickel and dime you to death, trust me on this. Invest in cheapo ziplock bags for all the hardware and label the bags with marker. It will make your life much less frustrating when you go to reassemble stuff. Like I said in the other thread parts are pretty plentiful for these so you really shouldn't have a hard time getting parts and that one isn't a really rare car, i.e. Boss 351 or a 429 car, so there shouldn't be the issue of hard to find NOS only parts.

And most importantly your budget for parts and such. Figure out what you think it will cost you and then double it. Then you probably have a pretty realistic budget. I was in your shoes once. I got my 65 when I was 15, drove it til I was 20 and then took it apart to restomod. That was 14 years ago and it is finally coming back together. Mostly due to money, or lack thereof, that and I am ADD when it comes to car projects. I start way to many at one time.

And one more thing. When you drive the car watch out behind you at red lights because you WILL put it in reverse at least once because you think you are in 1st. Damn Ford 3 speeds.

What are you going to do when your Fox reaches this state? These cars are closing in on "classic" status. Ubderlying problems are inherent.

LiquidGT, this is in no way a dis on you or your car, as I have never seen it. I am just saying these things are getting oooollllldddd!!!!!!!!!!

It seems like us fox guys never let go of out cars and we try to keep that kind of stuff from happening.

From what I read on other forums and ect it seems a good amount classic Mustangs (well any old car but especially Mustangs for some reason) got shoddy/shady bodywork over the years. I've seen a coulple of instances where someone gets a pristine classic Mustang and then they find out that the poor thing is filled with bondo. :( If I ever had the means to get a classic stang I would tear it down and restore it like MikeROD... or buy it from Barrett Jackson (probably not).

Mike if it turns out like all your families other Mustangs then it ought to be a cool car.:nice: So your '87 went down now you're bringing a '71 back to life. Good luck.:)

yeah, i was researching the heads. bigger valves and diff comb. chamber. i just gotta find the heads. but yeah, im not even planning on test driving it until the whole brake system is done and all the lines changes. i dont wanna kill it before its done. and the 3 speed is a toploader. those things are pretty tough. maybe not as tough as a 4 speed TL (considering swapping for it), but even if it does blow, its the easiest to repair. Later today will be a busy busy day :D Night for now. ill be updating you guys later and hopefully get footage of the first crank. after that, gotta see if i have good compression on all the pistons.

Update: starter didnt wanna engage. when key is turned to start car, it made a weird clicking noise. batt was charged and hooked to the jumper. new voltage regulator, starter solenoid and new pos. contact cable. huge bummer :(