Official Info Cutting Springs

mustang462002

Mar 13, 2007
There seems to be a lot of people that don't really know what happens when you cut the springs on a GT. Some say do it no problem some say no.

Facts:

I decided to cut my springs before I put on some C springs and new shocks and struts. I cut all four 1 coil. The car had an awesome stance.

Cutting 1 coil on the front netted a 1 inch drop. The coils fitted good. The front was fair, and acceptable.

Cutting 1 coil on the rear netted a 1 inch drop. The coils did not fit properly as the top was not round. People heat them up and make them fit which messes with the coil design. The rear suspension bottomed out on every bump I hit. If you are going to cut the rear cut less than half. Even then it wont fit properly and could be dangerous.

In conclusion don't cut the springs it just sucks. :nono:

• Sponsors (?)

I have cut 97 Cobra springs in the rear of my Mach & it rides fine IMO. Actually, it feels better than the pro kits & H&R SS's I previously ran in the rear. I cut off 1 & 1/2 coils too & I never bottom out. It might have to do with the fact that I run Bilsteins & not the stock shocks/struts, which would probably cause it to bottom out... Nothing wrong at all with cut springs, as long as you do it the right way, hell even Chip Foose does it...

Yup, I see nothing wrong with cutting springs the proper way. You should be aware it increases the spring rate and will make the car more likely to bottom out. Also, never heat them or use heat to cut them.

As for the comment about cutting them and never once bottoming out... You obviously never have passanger in the back ever. I've got stock springs, and I can feel the rear bottom out often when I have passangers in the back. The mustang really doesn't have much rear suspension travel.

Yup, I see nothing wrong with cutting springs the proper way. You should be aware it increases the spring rate and will make the car more likely to bottom out. Also, never heat them or use heat to cut them.

As for the comment about cutting them and never once bottoming out... You obviously never have passanger in the back ever. I've got stock springs, and I can feel the rear bottom out often when I have passangers in the back. The mustang really doesn't have much rear suspension travel.

True it increases the spring rate, just like when u buy aftermarket springs which have an increased spring rate over stock. I rarely ever have passengers in the rear, so maybe your right, it might bottom out if I had a rear passenger, but I have never noticed it...