Oh dear God, help me

85_SS_302_Coupe

it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end
15 Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
Northern KY
I'm actually considering putting Flows back on my car for a while (no, i'm NEVER getting rid of my Magnaflows). This video/car keep making me curious, and there's a set of 40s for sale cheap locally....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cDzgGQxsvk

I know i know, drone drone drone but damn, my car would sound pretty similar to that, probably a bit more crackly with 2.5 instead of 3 inch. I must confess, some days i miss Flows....maybe it's because people have moved on and not every car in town has them anymore. But, for the price i think i may buy them...i love having two sets of mufflers i can swap out when i get bored. It's kind of stupid but i used to dream about running 4 mufflers under my car with an electric cut out to toggle between them :lol:

• Sponsors (?)

Big difference between a stock engine with flows vs. and built engine with flows.

That's exactly what i'm thinking. All i'm worried about is, every clip i hear is of an engine with a lot of compression, and i'm (guessing) i'm only at about 9-9.5:1. From what i've heard compression has a lot to do with exhaust note.

That's exactly what i'm thinking. All i'm worried about is, every clip i hear is of an engine with a lot of compression, and i'm (guessing) i'm only at about 9-9.5:1. From what i've heard compression has a lot to do with exhaust note.

Yes, compression, displacement, valve size, port size, header type, header runner size, header material, cam profile, type of cam and lifter.... all contributes to the sound.

The engine sounds the way the engine sounds no matter what muffler you put on it. The muffler can only tune the sound, but doesn't change it.

Yea, when I did the H/C/I on my car, I went from the stock 9.1:1 to 9.8+:1 compression ratio, and I swear it is much louder than before. Same exhaust it had before. It makes sense, more compression ratio is more combustion pressure which means a stronger exhaust pulse. Not to mention the increased VE with the H/C/I swap.

It's why those 14:1 race gas big block cars cackle like thunder at idle.

Well this whole idea came and went. The cheap 40s i had in mind sold right after i posted this. If i can score some for really cheap i may still swap them out just for fun but for now i'm sticking with the Magnaflows and getting tail pipes.

I just changed the Flowmasters for dynomax mufflers because it was too loud lol... (but now the supercharger sounds like a bad powersteering pump) lol

I tend to suffer from exhaust ADHD. If i go too long with the same setup, even if it sounds amazing, i start wanting something different. I'll never fully get rid of the Magnaflows though, they're the best sounding mufflers i've ever owned, i just really really miss that chambered muffler idle with a big cam, which is something the Magnaflows lack.