Oh No Not Another Lame Thread About.......

FoxMustangLvr

I love my Pimp
SN Certified Technician
Oct 14, 2012
Spokane, Wa
Horse power.

I have my completely stock 90' hatch and I'd like to make mid to high 300 RWHP. This is strictly a summer time street car. What is the best recipe using all stock heads and intake? Will I need to port everything? I will be adding a V3 S trim, 1 5/8 long tubes, 2 1/2 o/r h-pipe, power pipe, PiMP tuned. I do not want to get too close to the block breaking threshold.

What else? After market cam? Custom cam?
Will my 3.73 gears be too much gear for boost?

I just want the look and reliability of factory parts and I want to keep my low mileage 73k block and sell my other 306 CID hci engine. I know the blower will not be in line with keeping a factory appearance but that's just the way it goes.

• Sponsors (?)

You won't need to run a cam or port anything. Obviously better cam/intake tract would help but aren't mandatory IMO. You are adding the proper fuel system components though right? I'd pm Nick and find out what pulleys you'll need(the stock pulleys aren't going to get you to upper 300's-maybe low 300's). As far as the gears are concerned I'd just run them. If you don't like the outcome then and only then would I think about swapping.

EDIT: nvrmnd.. just read the post better..

Anyway, on the 3.73's.. They were great in my car when it was N/A, but on boost they were useless. I stepped down to a 3.25.

Turbo FTW.

Yeah! You could have all this!

20150208_192737.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
What Mike said plus an after-cooler. Sure, you may not need it at that boost level but you will when you crank up the fuel. Besides, who couldn't use a bit more timing in a boosted app? :shrug:

You can easily run 10-12# of boost on a stock bottom end WITH the right supporting parts and tune. Start of with the base kit 6# and go from there. Remember, the more restrictice the motor- stock vs. aftermarket heads, intake, the more boost you will build faster.
Don't have to worry about factory head gaskets and valve springs at that rate?

Don't have to worry about factory head gaskets and valve springs at that rate?

As long as you tune it safe the HG will be fine. Each # of boost is 7-10 hp. The valvesprings are a function of the cam and how high you spin it. LIke I said, start off with the base 5-6# setup and move up from there. It's just like Nitrous- you can pill it for 50-250 hp. Most stock motors can run a 100-150 shot all day long as long as the tune is safe.