ohh god i ****ed up my car

johnnyt03gt

5 Year Member
Mar 15, 2008
dallas TX
oh my god i think i ****ed up my car, long story short i washed my engine just now after air drying for 30min, i had to move it. as soon as i started it it sounded and ran like ****, shaking badly best way bad low idleTPS? it's so bad i can't even drive it what do i do now? HELP please

• Sponsors (?)

Every time I clean my engine bay, this happens. All I do is try to dry it off as best as I can, then take it for a drive to get it up to operating temp. Then I'll park it overnight with the hood up to let it ventilate. When I wake up the next morning, it's fine.

well woke up today expecting the worse all 8 coil packs shot, but to my delight it started right up running perfectly, looks like the dallas tx heat evaporated all the water,

just want to give all you guys a big THANKS,
i was losing my mind yesterday. and if not for your advice i would have ended up putting her
on a tow truck, wasting money i don't have wasting time i don't have. again THANK YOU,

BTW im so happy now going streaking dressed in a see through thong LOL

A easy way to prevent the common misfire after engine clean is to get the motor hot first... then spray with water.
:stupid:Yep, I even go as far as cleaning it while the engine is 210 degrees and still running.
One of my fuel injectors popped out and sprayed gasoline every where, needless to say hot gasoline is nausiating. I got a Big Gulp cup and just poured water everywhere there was metal, water didn't have time to get in the sparkplug wells; and I found out that gasoline cleans a dirty engine very well, I wouldn't try this on purpose though.

It bears repeating: The various electrical connections under the hood of a car are weather resistant, not water proof. Any directed water from any source risks shorts and corrosion. Hard water has minerals in it that are left behind when the water evaporates. These minerals can interfere with connections, especially high-impedance ones like O2 sensors. An inside the connectors, wires can corrode and break at the crimps making for very difficult debugging.

What value is there in "washing the engine"? I suppose if you like showing the car but geez...I didn't realize there were so many trailer queens out there. Just go around with a dry microfiber towel and wipe stuff down. Hosing or power-washing is just asking for it...

And honestly, spraying cold water on hot engine components is just asking for fractures or other thermal-shock issues. We let the engines cool completely before pulling spark plugs but dousing a hot, running engine in cold hose water is okay? :thinking:

It bears repeating: The various electrical connections under the hood of a car are weather resistant, not water proof. Any directed water from any source risks shorts and corrosion. Hard water has minerals in it that are left behind when the water evaporates. These minerals can interfere with connections, especially high-impedance ones like O2 sensors. An inside the connectors, wires can corrode and break at the crimps making for very difficult debugging.

What value is there in "washing the engine"? I suppose if you like showing the car but geez...I didn't realize there were so many trailer queens out there. Just go around with a dry microfiber towel and wipe stuff down. Hosing or power-washing is just asking for it...

And honestly, spraying cold water on hot engine components is just asking for fractures or other thermal-shock issues. We let the engines cool completely before pulling spark plugs but dousing a hot, running engine in cold hose water is okay? :thinking:
I'm just stating the results, the fuel injector closest to the firewall on the passenger side popped out. I had two choices, dump some water and help the engine rid itself of the nausiating gas or just smell fumes for the next 2 weeks while the engine just helps the gas evaporate. I don't make pouring water on my engine a habit but pouring water for this circumstance was neccesary for my well-being.
I don't power wash my engine, I just wipe things down so I can see whats leaking or not. You're right this problem is too common.