OI this stinks

speedy66

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2000
glendale,arizona,usa
Noticed I was 2 qts low in my oil.. but my coolant overflow was unusually full.. looked into the overflow.. and guess what.. peanut butter milkshake.. OI.. new motor.. just hit the 3k mark bout 2 weeks ago.. and bingo there goes a flippin head gasket.. this stinks..

• Sponsors (?)

Damn, I better get my wife's truck looked at then. She called me at work last week complaining that it was running very rough and stalling out when she put it in gear after a hot restart. I went down to check it out and everything seemd fine except the radiator seemed bone dry (I was pissed because I told her to have it flushed and drained with the oil change 2 weeks ago and she didn't) and when I took the cap off I found what looked like some baby poop underneath it and around the edges of the hose. I just dumped some water in it to get it home, drove fine. Then I flushed everything and refilled it figuring I was all set. It still seems fine, but now I'm a tad scared after reading about your car. :(

dont use the copper ones unless you have 0-rings... and they'll leak water like crazy.. a PITA to get sealed
next time, try tightening the intake some before you torque the heads, it'll take the side load from the intake bolts off... so the heads dont want to shift :)

Water in the oil = head gasket, water system pressure pushing water where it should not be. Oil in water = cracked block, oil under pressure pushing into the cooling system. There is no oil pressure in the heads, so how can the oil get into the pressurized coolant system. Just my theory, thinking logically, sorry I tend to do that. I hope it is only a HG, but I don't understand how the oil is getting in the radiator.

At least you know! I blew my head gasket coming down the driveway after a long Sunday drive. Lost most of my coolant in the length of the driveway. Put it up on ramps and let it cool off. Once it was cold, when I added water to the rad, it poured out the back of the right head. Replaced the gasket and it had a hole you could stick your head through!

Blown head gaskets are a pain, but I'm always thankful when they don't leave me stranded or wondering how I'm going to replace a seized engine!

--P