Oil change time for my new 02 GT, time vs mileage on oil changes?

The_Grayt_1

Apr 24, 2012
Hey guys, I just got my super clean low mileage stang and the oil has not been changed in the past 18 months due to infrequent use. The car is not due to have an oil change for another 3k miles, but I was wondering is it more important to go by date or mileage for changes? The oil looks super clean and the car runs great. Can oil go bad sitting in the pan?

Also real quick, I am thinking about going with a Motorcraft filter and Mobil 1 synthetic oil. Is that a good choice or should I run regular oil? What weight oil is best for my 01 GT? I like in Texas.

• Sponsors (?)

Oil in and of itself doesn't generally go bad over reasonable period of time. However, it is subject to warm/cool cycles and as such picks up things like water from vapor in the air. This is worsened if the car is started once in a while or taken for a short trip now and again because then you're adding combustion contaminants to the mix. Over time the oil can turn somewhat acidic and this can lead to bearing issues.

The more temperature-controlled the storage is and less the car is started the better as far as oil is concerned in a situation where a car is infrequently used.

Oil is relatively cheap. I would change it and the filter once every 18-24 mos and, after the change, run it long enough to get it hot and to circulate the fresh, new oil everywhere in the engine.

Oil in and of itself doesn't generally go bad over reasonable period of time. However, it is subject to warm/cool cycles and as such picks up things like water from vapor in the air. This is worsened if the car is started once in a while or taken for a short trip now and again because then you're adding combustion contaminants to the mix. Over time the oil can turn somewhat acidic and this can lead to bearing issues.

The more temperature-controlled the storage is and less the car is started the better as far as oil is concerned in a situation where a car is infrequently used.

Oil is relatively cheap. I would change it and the filter once every 18-24 mos and, after the change, run it long enough to get it hot and to circulate the fresh, new oil everywhere in the engine.
I think I am just going to change the oil to be safe. The car was always stored indoors as well.

Any reccomendations on filter and oil type and weight? I know if has been covered somewhere though...

For the sort of use yours sees a regular dino oil, say 5W30, would be fine. Always use a MC filter on these cars (superior anti-drainback valve.)

If the car sits for prolonged periods without being started you might consider "priming" it before starting. This is as easy as flooring the throttle while cranking. This is a "clear flood" mode to the PCM and it shuts off the injectors. This allows the starter motor to crank the engine and for the oil pump to move a bit of oil back into the galleries before subjecting it to the full force of combustion. Crank it like this for, say, 5-8 seconds, then release the throttle and the engine will catch right away.

Make sure you've got a decent charge on the battery of course....

oil been in the ground for million years 18 months isnt too much. Filters go bad way before oil does. But anytime it sits i get worried and change it anyways. I use wic or valvoline filter with mobil1 oil. I work at a Valvoline sponsored shop.

oil been in the ground for million years 18 months isnt too much. Filters go bad way before oil does. But anytime it sits i get worried and change it anyways. I use wic or valvoline filter with mobil1 oil. I work at a Valvoline sponsored shop.
Oil in the ground is under much different conditions than in your car I reckon.

I'd change it out. 18 months is a pretty long time depending on which oil was in there.

There's nothing wrong with your oil and filter choices. 5W-20 is the recommended weight and that's going to be fine in Texas. You'll see a lot of guys move to 5W-30 for a variety of reasons.

i would just change it to be safe. Also since you are new to the car its always good to "start fresh" with basic maintance. when you change the oil look for little metal peices. if you see an abundance or large peices get worried

Changing your oil is a lot cheaper than rebuilding your engine. I use motor craft filters and have been using Mobil 1 5w20 since the car came out of factory warranty, a long time ago. No problems. I change my oil every 5000 miles or 3 months whatever comes first.

My Mustang doesn't get alot of miles on it because I usually drive my truck. I may put about 1000 miles on it in 6 months. I try to change my oil every 6 months but have gone longer. I use Mobil 1 10w30 and Fram X2 filters and have always used that combination with no issues ever.