oil change

STANGM89

Oct 28, 2003
ALABAMA
when i picked up my car in feb they changed the oil that day so i havent changed it since i got it but ive only put 2100 miles on it.should i change it sooner even if i dont drive it? and what a good oil? thanks i try to drive it a few miles every acouple of weeks.

• Sponsors (?)

If it was just changed a lil' over 2K miles ago you are fine. The frequency that you change your oil is really varied. I personaly change mine every 5K, useing Mobil 1 5W30 full synthetic. Some change every 3k, some longer, some shorter. I guess it all depends on what makes you feel comfortable. There are many good full synthetics out there> Mobil 1, Redline, Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc. Really just depends on what you like and how much $ you want to spend. I believe for the price Mobil 1 is the way to go. JMO.:nice:

A few points to consider here:

1- Check your oil level when cold, just to be safe. Even though this is a pretty basic idea, I can't stress how important it is to make sure your DOHC has the proper amount of oil in it. Some of the oil may have disappeared since Februrary (depending on your driving style).

2- You have several options for oil (as mentioned above). Regular or synthetic. It's up to you really, but just make sure you keep tabs on your oil level.

I personally run Mobil 1 because of the affordability - the 5 quart jugs at Wal-Mart are a bargain. Use a reputable oil filter as well (ie - anything BUT Fram). Trust me on the latter part.

3- You don't HAVE to change the oil, but you certainly won't hurt anything by changing it. Do you know if they used regular or synthetic oil when it was last changed? If you don't know the answer to that question you might as well change it.

My .02 :cheers:

I owned a 2001 cobra. NEVER put that crap Mobil 1 or Royal Purple in your car. It will destroy the alluminum heads on that specific model year if you continually replace it with that mobil 1
ONLY use quality oil companies like Castrol and Valvoline, they have been making oil for years. 5W-20synthetic or blend it really does not matter.
Mobil 1 has been making oil for less than 15 years, don't let anyone sell you that gimmick in advertising.
If you don't believe me, then use the mobil but then look at your heads after 20,000 miles and then tell me if it did not do more damage. Mobil oil is designed for low compression engines like HONDA and TOYOTA, why, becuse thats what most of the people drive today.

Jimbo Jones
1998 Cobra 65,000miles
2001 Cobra 45,000miles
2004 Cobra 34,500miles

Trust me, the REAL only cobra driver, all the other people who post in here let their cars sit in the garage all week and take it out on the weekends to race or something. We are talking about everyday drivers.

JimboJonesShow said:
...It will destroy the alluminum heads on that specific model year...

Got any hard evidence to back up that claim? How about pictures? Why is this the first time anyone has mentioned this and singled out those two motor oils on a mustang message board? If you heard about this somewhere else, please link us to the appropriate thread/article.

JimboJonesShow said:
I owned a 2001 cobra. NEVER put that crap Mobil 1 or Royal Purple in your car. It will destroy the alluminum heads on that specific model year if you continually replace it with that mobil 1
ONLY use quality oil companies like Castrol and Valvoline, they have been making oil for years. 5W-20synthetic or blend it really does not matter.
Mobil 1 has been making oil for less than 15 years, don't let anyone sell you that gimmick in advertising.
If you don't believe me, then use the mobil but then look at your heads after 20,000 miles and then tell me if it did not do more damage. Mobil oil is designed for low compression engines like HONDA and TOYOTA, why, becuse thats what most of the people drive today.

Jimbo Jones
1998 Cobra 65,000miles
2001 Cobra 45,000miles
2004 Cobra 34,500miles

Trust me, the REAL only cobra driver, all the other people who post in here let their cars sit in the garage all week and take it out on the weekends to race or something. We are talking about everyday drivers.

Please provide proof of your claims about Mobil 1. I'd like to see some hard evidence to back up your statements.

Now as for your other statement of being the only "REAL" Cobra driver on these boards just because you have 34K on your odometer... :rolleyes:

U.M.

JimboJonesShow said:

Jimbo Jones
1998 Cobra 65,000miles
2001 Cobra 45,000miles
2004 Cobra 34,500miles

:Zip2: brilliant !!!!

My only hard evidence are the work orders I have back-logged. If you would like to see them then leave me your address or fax # and I'll fax the staments from my office.

Otherwise its up to you to drive as many mile as I did and prove me wrong.

JimboJonesShow said:
Mobil oil is designed for low compression engines like HONDA and TOYOTA, why, becuse thats what most of the people drive today.

That's pretty funny since there are many Honda and Toyota engines that are over 10:1 CR in their econobox Civics and Corollas

03/04 Cobra's have low compression engines, I guess it's ok to use in those?!?

Your statements make no sense

JimboJonesShow said:
Mobil oil is designed for low compression engines like HONDA and TOYOTA, why, becuse thats what most of the people drive today.
Funny how the aluminum headed ZO6 comes with a factory fill of Mobil 1. In fact, all vettes have Mobil 1 in the crankcase from the factory. The following cars also come from the FACTORY with Mobil 1 in their engines:

Bentley Amage & Continental GT Coupe
Cadillac CTS, XLR, SRX and STS
Pontiac GTO

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution
Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren
All Mercedes-Benz AMG's
All Porsches
Dodge Viper
Ford Mustang Cobra R
All Aston Martin cars

If it's good enough for these cars it's good enough for my low mileage, barely driven, garage queen Cobra! :nice:

U.M.

JimboJonesShow said:

Jimbo Jones
1998 Cobra 65,000miles
2001 Cobra 45,000miles
2004 Cobra 34,500miles

Hmmm. Mobil 1 came out when I was in high school and that was over 30 years ago. Plus, it's used by quite a few racing teams and they certainly run high compression engines. Not to start a flame war, but where did you get your data from? I've used Mobil 1 in all of my cars for many years and never had a problem, even after owning some vehicles for 10+ years and over 130K miles.

Hmmmmmm gotta put my 2 cents in here. I have been running Mobil 1 in My motorcycles for many yrs.....I think the engines are 70% aluminum....Could be wrong....The Honda Huricaine has 24000 on it and stil running....engine has no problems that I know of....But maybe the mobil one has welded all the aluminum into one casting.....

JimboJonesShow said:

Jimbo Jones
1998 Cobra 65,000miles
2001 Cobra 45,000miles
2004 Cobra 34,500miles

:rlaugh:
Well working for Ford and now Toyota, where do I start in tearing you a new one?

Gimmicks in advertising? Funny how Castrol syntec is not a true Class IV PAO synthetic oil, but a class III Hydrocracked group, yet it is advertised as a full synthetic;). Mobil 1 is a class IV PAO synthetic. So how are you going to sell that idea?
http://www.technilube.com/sections/comps/synth_diff.htm

BTW Mobil was first tested in the US 30 years ago;)
http://www.technilube.com/sections/faqs/syn_history.htm

I have looked at my heads in my 100k cobra that has had Mobil 1 in her since day 1 and my previous Cobra that had Mobil 1 for 35k and no issues. In addition to the LS1 also that had55k and no issues there.

In fact I have yet to see any issues with Mobil 1 tearing up B and c heads on the DOHC. Please explain what these issues are and show concrete proof. You are the very first in 5 years I have heard this implication.

Define a real cobra driver. I have 100k on mine and 50% of it is racing miles and the rest are daily driven as its my only car at the moment. Plus I do all my own mods and work too. You are being very ignorant assuming like you do. Might regret saying that and end up eating your foot.

Wow, that's some funny s***!!! lol All that I got to say is damn and yea :hail2: :stupid: and burrnnn i felt that over here, and i'm in cali. lol anyways like i said before pics need to be shown to prove that the oils suck. My dad runs a 800hp Nascar and uses Mobil one.. and every time we freshen up the motor there aint nothin wrong with it, so yea like I said some pics would be nice, and great job fryin his ass