oil consumption problems

• Sponsors (?)

ive always heard of 347's burning a lot of oil but i thought the companys that build the kits had all that figured out now. unless its something like not having a baffle on the lower intake there isnt much you can do

dragnazz5.0 said:
ive always heard of 347's burning a lot of oil but i thought the companys that build the kits had all that figured out now.

You heard wrong pal :)

You have a mechanical issue or the engine (if its new) was NOT built/assembled correctly. Mine doesn't burn a drop.

Theyre talking about the baffle in the lower manifold I believe.

Grn92LX said:
You heard wrong pal :)

You have a mechanical issue or the engine (if its new) was NOT built/assembled correctly. Mine doesn't burn a drop.

Theyre talking about the baffle in the lower manifold I believe.

im talking about all the older 347 kits. everyone ive ever talked to said that those kits had oil consumption problems because of the piston design and where the ring lands and wrist pin were located. but they have since fixed this problem

dragnazz5.0 said:
im talking about all the older 347 kits. everyone ive ever talked to said that those kits had oil consumption problems because of the piston design and where the ring lands and wrist pin were located. but they have since fixed this problem

+1
I heard the same thing. Something about oil hittin the top of the piston :shrug:

dragnazz5.0 said:

Fyi, having the wrist pin through the oil ring has zero effect on oil useage.

Too many people "hear" things but don't EXPERIENCE them. Thats what sucks abaout the internet. I guess you know have to know what site has experienced people you can listen to.

Grn92LX said:
Fyi, having the wrist pin through the oil ring has zero effect on oil useage.

Too many people "hear" things but don't EXPERIENCE them. Thats what sucks abaout the internet. I guess you know have to know what site has experienced people you can listen to.

well, i actually havent heard much on the internet about it but a couple friends from back home have owned more mustangs than i even care to think about and thats where i have heard it. maybe they were wrong, but i have yet to hear anything come out of their mouths that is incorrect

dragnazz5.0 said:
well, i actually havent heard much on the internet about it but a couple friends from back home have owned more mustangs than i even care to think about and thats where i have heard it. maybe they were wrong, but i have yet to hear anything come out of their mouths that is incorrect

A buddy of mine had a 347 in his 92 GT. It was an older model stroker, he did the proper break in and whatnot and still had oil consumption problems. The machine shop I deal with a few towns over is a father/son deal. They've been on the Ford racing team for years and have heard the same thing with the ring/wrist pin problem. I don't think its a hear-say problem. More of design problem that has since been corrected.

Nick

40rnds said:
was primed, used synthetic oil

thats probably part of the problem. synthetic oil is too good of a lubricant and wont allow the rings to properly seat. change the oil to regular dino oil and see what happens after 6k miles or so.

edit: did you just prime the motor or did you break in the motor with synthetic oil?

Agree with above..using synthetic for breakin can prevent the rings from sealing leaving you with a bit of a problem. Hopefully you can go to a dyno brand oil and see if it helps, but you may have created a situation that is not going to correct itself.